We have CCM4.13 and ONE Unity voice messaging only 4.04.
We are going to replace the existing unity server add failover also.
My question is that what is the best way to do it. I beleive this kind of upgrade will lose all the old message, right?? In other words, I dont need DiRT backup and restore, coz the message store will be external.
Here is what I think.
1. We need 3 server, 1 is primary, 2 is secondary, 3 is message store (exchange).
2. Install WIN2000 with exchange, domain controller, etc.
3. Install WIN 2000, SQL, exchange administrator software, and primary unity with failover option.
4. Install WIN 2000, SQL, exchange administrator software, and secondary unity.
5. Intergrate with CCM.
6. Re-configure Unity from scratch.
Thanks in advance.
By the way, I couldnt find any documentaion related to my situation. Anyone can give me the link.
Check out the reconfiguration and upgrade guide here:
lots of good info in there - yes, you can save your messages using diRT in this scenario.
Please correct me if I am wrong: here is what I think.
DiRT backup will back up all subscriber info, call handler, message, etc....
After finishing install Primary, and secondary Unity, I have to use DiRT restore. However, the message is external... how to push the message to external server??
Check out the help files and training videos on the DiRT home page for lots of details on the message backup/restore scenario:
short story, it uses ExMerge and will push the messages back into the mailstore after all the subscriber's have been created in Exchange. Be sure to read the help and details in the docs above before pulling the trigger - you need to understand how AD/Exchange accounts are created/bound-to and such to know how this all will work for you.
I am in the same boat, I am going through procedures as we speak trying to figure out what's the best and safest way to achieve this but have not found anything in regard to a rollback plan in case of disaster happens during the process. I am running CCM 4.0.2a with Unity and Exchange 2k onbox voicemail only 4.0.3. Here is what I think and please correct me if I am wrong, any comments are welcome !!!
I am assuming your existing Unity/Exchange box is configured as Domain Controller, Global Catalog server..etc. And you will be keeping the existing Exchange server on your current box as your message store for the two new Unity servers.
--Primary Unity Server-------
- Install Win2k->Run Cisco Unity system Preparation Assistant to customize the OS for Unity->Join the server to the existing domain where existing Exchange server is reside->Install Exchange administrator software->Install Unity primary with failover licensed. Once the new Unity server is up, tested and working, run DiRT backup on the existing Unity server and then run DiRT restore to the new Unity server.
----Secondary failover Server-----
The installation steps is the same as the primary server but instead of running DiRT restore you run the Failover Configuration Wizard. Once failover is configured all data on the primary Unity server will get replicated to the secondary server.
Note: I am not sure if you run the Failover Configuration Wizard from the primary server or secondary server !!!! and also not sure if you have to uninstall Unity from your existing server first before start DiRT restore to your new Unity server !!
Does anybody know of a rollback plan for type of scenario ?
What is the best and safest way to approach this with minimal downtime ?
again (I've answered this for you both on the forum and via email) you do NOT have to uninstall Unity before you do the DiRT restore on the new box. However, once you do the objects in the directory are moved to point at the new server. As such there is no "rollback" plan other doing doing a DiRT restore on the original server.
That will continue to be my answer even if you continue to ask the question...
You're dealing with shared objects in a common directory here so the idea that you can have a push button "rollback" in such a scenario is not going to fly.
Thanks Jeff ! I really appreciate for your time and patience ! I have never install Unity before, this will be my first, I just wanna make sure I clearly understand the process before pulling the trigger.
So will there be an outage at some point ?
In your opinion and experience how would you approach this type of scenario ?
Thanks again !!!!
Since we are in the same boat, I am doing a lot of resarch lately. Here What I plan to do and idea:
Step1: Separating Cisco Unity and Exchange, Please see URL below:
Step2: Install Unity at the new server, Please see URL below:
Step3: Use DiRT to restore Data (you dont need to backup Subscriber Message at the existing Unity, coz the message will stay, during restoreing, the user should automatically bind to the exchange server)
Step4: Install Secondary Server if everything is fine.
P.S. My project should start a month later.... I will pass my experience to you if I do that b4 you.
Thanks Ken ! I've been doing a lot of research myself. I already went through the links you sent. I am waiting for 2 MCS servers and the Unity license to arrive, I am expecting to start on this project in the next couple of weeks. And here is my plan.
Assumming all your hardwares and licenses are ready.
Step1: Intall Unity on one of the 2 new MCS servers as primary.
Step2: Once the new Unity server is up online, make sure you can web/sa to it, add some test subscribers ...etc. If all is working to satisfaction then run DiRT restore to it. Per Jeff Lindborg at this you will break your production Unity server, basically DiRT will break Exchange from your current Unity server and repoint it the new Unity server.
Step3: Uninstall Unity from the current server once the new Unity server is up and tested.
Step4: Install and configure Secondary Unity server once the primary Unity server is up and fully operational.
thanks again for sharing the info ! Please let know what you think of my plan !!
P.S. I am also thinking of building an exact duplicate of the current Unity/Exchange server on the other MCS server and keep it for fallback just in case of disaster happens.
And the reason I choose to install Unity on the new server first before uninstall it from the current server cuz I think this way it will minimize downtime and also in case if you have to rollback all you have to do is run DiRT restore to the current server instead of reinstall Unity. Let me know if I am not making sense !!!
Looks like thats a good plan.
The only thing I worry about is the STEP 2.
My question is that:
Why will DiRT restore break your production Unity server?? It sounds good for me, but weird.
I think I will follow instruction, uninstall Unity first on existing Unity server, then install Unity on new server and then run DiRT restore. Of course to do the test first, e.g. SA Web, add some new user.
Since I will do this on from Friday night to saturday morning.... so noone will work anyway... The downtime will be 12 hours for me....
Since you have two new servers.... u can install Unity and exchange in same server, add like 10 users.... Then separate the Unity. Basically, you can do testing before.
Check out the response I got from Jeff Lindborg on the same issue from a different post.
I agree with your steps but I think you should somehow validate your backup first before start uninstall Unity from your production server, what if you run into issues with DiRT restore.
I have installed CallManager before but this will be my first Unity install, it's a challenge for me .
Thanks and keep me posted !!
Hi Ken, I just wanna give you a quick update. I am able to successfully separate Unity from Exchange and reinstall it onto a separate server in a lab environment, I now have Unity and Exchange running on two separate boxes in my lab. It wasn't too bad, the install actually went pretty smooth. I am pretty familiar with the process and know what to expect now. I am planning on doing the actual install sometime this week or early next week, still waiting on the hardwares and the license to arrive.
Basically if you understand the procedure and follow it properly you should be fine. I'll let you know how it goes with the actual install.
Thanks for update. It is great to hear you that you are able to separate Unity and exchange in the lab. I feel better now.
My project hasnt started yet, all hardwares arrived, but there are no CD for CCM and Unity.
I guess I need to wait a little longer.
Keep me posted.
just wanna give a quick update. I now have Unity 4.0.3 and Exchange 2K running on two separate boxes with no issues. The migration went smoothly on Saturday thanks to the responses from Jeff Lindborg and Ginger.
NetPro rules !!!
P.S. I am working on installing the secondary server now.
It is a good news.
I still havent recieved any CD/DVD for Unity yet.... Still waiting.
Keep me posted. And good luck for your second server.