cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Windows migration

zulfi
Level 1
Level 1

Have anyone heard about any issues migrating Unity to Win 2003 from 2K?

And what is the path to migrate do we need to blow up the box and build it from scratch and import user info and VM.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The path to backup and restore your data if you need to "blow up the box" (some NSA crawler is so monitoring this thread right now) is to use the Disaster Recovery Tools (DiRT) - the help file and training videos for it can be found on its home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

it can handle moving boxes, domains and such just fine and saves all your user/handler/messages etc...

Thanks lindborg,

So do I need to blow up the box in order to migrate to Win 2003 ?

Thanks,

lschulte
Level 1
Level 1

I am a living example of "issues" with this. I will give you a few quick tips:

There is NO migrate. Start from scratch. Do NOT attempt to remove or upgrade the local Exchange and / or uninstall Unity with the hopes of re-installing on the server, or you're in for a long night and a long recovery just to get things back the way they were.

My problems are more related to Unified migration, but I can tell you that any in place upgrades are an effort in futility.

That said, a good DiRT backup will keep just about everything you need...but make sure the Unity versions match EXACTLY for the restore.

Blow away the box, install Windows 2003 (and service packs), install Unity (and Post updates), and do a DiRT restore and pretty much you'll be back in business.

If you're migrating with Unified Messaging in mind, that's a whole different ball-game.

Just so I understand:

Can I do a DIRT Backup of A w2k voicemail only 4.05 unity box and restore to a New w2003 Unified messaging 4.05 server with the Dirt Restore?

Yes you can - however please read the help file carefully and understand how DiRT and the SQLSyncSvr work to bind Unity subscriber accounts to AD accounts vs. creating new ones. Many folks don't understand how this works and then are shocked and dismayed that DiRT can't somehow dynamically understand their changed naming/alias conventions and bind to the users they wanted to on the fly somehow. There's an alias mapping function built in but you have to setup the CSV file with the mappings.

It's covered in the help - just make sure you review and understand it before proceeding.