Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity7 message monitor

guy.richard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm upgrading a customer from Unity4 to 7. He is interested by M/essage Monitor feature.

Unity is deployed using G729 40ms because of WAN and IP Telephony Service Provider requirements.

Does Message Monitor work with G729 40ms ? Does XML RTPRx fonctions support G729 40ms ? 

On 79x1 phones I can hear a noise and on 79x5 phones I do not hear anything.

If not I have a problem I have to re-install Unity7 in G711 and CAC will not be aware of this bandwidth consumption and theese RTP flows will not use transcoding ressources..

Thanks for help

Guy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Cooper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guy,

According to the most recent information I've been able to find, Message Monitor will still only work with 20ms G.711 packets due to a limitation in the RTPRx feature on some IP Phones.

Was there any difference in behaviour if using Remote Message Monitor?   Some people seem to have got this working with G.729; although there is at least one defect raised against it (CSCso77846).

Has the entire CUCM cluster been reconfigured to use G.729 in 40ms packet sizes instead of 20ms (using the "Preferred G.729 Millisecond Packet Size" CallManager Service Parameter)?

Unity should work fine with both G.711 and G.729 without re-installing.   It can be configured to work with only G.711, or with both G.711 and G.729 from within the Advanced Settings Tool (with "Audio - Enable G729 codec support").

Kind regards,

Craig Cooper

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Craig Cooper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guy,

According to the most recent information I've been able to find, Message Monitor will still only work with 20ms G.711 packets due to a limitation in the RTPRx feature on some IP Phones.

Was there any difference in behaviour if using Remote Message Monitor?   Some people seem to have got this working with G.729; although there is at least one defect raised against it (CSCso77846).

Has the entire CUCM cluster been reconfigured to use G.729 in 40ms packet sizes instead of 20ms (using the "Preferred G.729 Millisecond Packet Size" CallManager Service Parameter)?

Unity should work fine with both G.711 and G.729 without re-installing.   It can be configured to work with only G.711, or with both G.711 and G.729 from within the Advanced Settings Tool (with "Audio - Enable G729 codec support").

Kind regards,

Craig Cooper

Hi Craig

Thank you, you made me learn a lot of things about Unity.

In fact Unity works with both G711 and G729 and when a caller speaks to the voice mail in G711, message monitor send RTP in G711 so it works well, but when the caller is over the WAN or comes from the Telaphony Service Proviser, he speaks in G729 and so message monitor sends G729 and doaes not work.

I'm trying to configure, with an existing gateway, a IPtoIP gateway near the Unity server to allow callers to speak either in G711 or in G729 and the gateway transcoding in G711.

Do you know an exhaustive list of fonctionnalities of Unity7 integrated with Domino because a lot of things do not work like with Exchange.

Thanks for all