Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

UnityMsgStoreSvc mailbox rights..

Hi,

My company security policy does not allow any service account full Exchange mailbox rights. I noticed that after setting all the permissions and running PW, UnityMsgStoreSvc account has full mailbox rights to all mailbxoes. From my reading, it looks like the AVMsgStoreMonitor service needs to log on to each Subscriber's mailbox for ensure proper MWI and the like. Is this true? Is this a requirement, or is there an alternative method to grant the Unity services certain rights, but not "full mailbox" rights? Thanks.

3 REPLIES

Re: UnityMsgStoreSvc mailbox rights..

Hi -

Check out the section in this link titled "Setting required Exchange permissions" - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00804419f6.html

You didn't mention which version of Unity, the link I provided is for 4.2. Another link I think you will find useful is the Unity services and their functions - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a0080449e10.html. You are correct on the function of the AvMsgStoreMonitor service, but there are others as you'll see from this doc. The UnityMsgStoreSvc account is used to login to the user's mailbox when the user checks voicemail from the telephone user interface. If you want Unity to function properly, it needs the permissions referenced in the first document.

Ginger

Thank you for the information. We are testing Unity 4.2. After reading the documentation over carefully, it seems like "Administer Information Store" may be granting full mailbox permissions to each mailbox. Is that how you understand it? - josh

Hi -

That is true - if you look at Active Directory Users and Computers for one of your users, check out the Exchange Advanced tab - Mailbox Rights. You will see the Unitymsgstoresvc account has Full Mailbox rights. Send As/Receive As permissions are also granted. Note - these permissions are similar to those rights the Blackberry service account requires for mailbox access and synchronization, so there is a precedence for these type of permissions. Unity 4.2 does require less permissions. If you are not going to have multiple Unity services networked together, you may want to check out the 4.2 release notes for the information related to Permissions Wizard.

Ginger

Views
Helpful
Replies