cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade 2.4.6 to 4.0.3

dlkoch
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at upgrading to 4.0.3 from 2.4.6 as a voice mail system only. We have a Dell Optiplex G1 now with 256 ram with less then 50 users. Would there be any problems upgrading to 4.0 with this server. the Cisco Docs say that it is good for only unity 3.1

6 Replies 6

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Normally you can use the full DB import now to go straight to 4.0.3. See:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_full_import_export3x.htm

Prior to that, you could only use it to go up to 4.0.2 (and then would have to upgrade again).

However, the Dell is only supported up to 3.x, not 4.x+

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

You are correct that it isn't supported past 3.X. Even running it with 3.X is pushing the limits of the 400mhz Celeron. It can run okay for a small system but things like reboots, upgrading software and so on take an eternity.

You really are better off buying a new server from our HCL. You don't need to get it from Cisco as long as you get the exact same thing from the third-party vendor.

Thanks,

Keith

I have a similar situation. I have a Dell G1 running 3.1.5 UM with about 200 users. I have just purchase a new MCS 7835 to replace this and want to upgrade to 4.0.3 as were going from Exchange 5.5 to 2003.

I was going to take a backup of my exisiting box, upgrade to 4.0.3 then run DiRT Backup on the box, and Run Dirt Restore on the new box.

From what your saying, 4.x is not supported on the G1 so what is the best option for me to migrate my users over to the new box running 4.0.3?

TIA

David

4.x isn't supported on the G1 but you can still upgrade your G1 to 4.x and get your DiRT back up off of that - the install is not going to prevent your ugprade from running. Just don't run the system in production on that platform because it'll perform really badly (and TAC wont support you doing that). But just for upgrading the system long enough to migrate to another server this is fine.

The other option is to do your DiRT backup of 3.1(5), restore it onto a 3.1(5) clean install on your new box and then upgrade to 4.0(3) - either way will work.

Thanks for this. One other question. Do i need to license the G1 box after the upgrade but before running DiRT. Does DiRT pick this info up? Just thought I'd check with the new licensing in 4.0 that doesn't use the dongle.

Many thanks

D

DiRT doesn't backup or restore any licensing information - it expects the local new install to be licensed (i.e. if you restore a DiRT backup to a system without the appropriate license counts Unity will start barking about it in the event log and will eventually shut itself down).

but to upgrade to 4.x you'll need a license key (file in 4.0(x)).