cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade CallManager 4.1(2) to CUCM 6.1(5)

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

What is the best approch to upgrade CallManager 4.1(2) to CUCM 6.1(5)?

There will be 2 new CUCM servers available for ver 6.1(5). There are around 1000 phones.

Based on the Cisco upgrade guide, there is no direct upgrade from 4.1(2) to 6.1(5). Does it really need to upgrade to 4.1(3) first, then 6.1(5)? Is it possible to upgrade from 4.(2) to 6.1(5) using DMA tool directly?

If don't use DMA tool, but configure CUCM 6.1(5) from scratch, how difficult is it to configuration 1000 phones and 1000 users? Is there a way to export the phone and user configuration from 4.1(2) then use bulk configuration to upload file to 6.1(5)?

All suggestion/experience are appreciated.

Michael

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You always need to be on the latest release from the CCM train you're on, in your case it's mandatory to be in 4.1(3) for ANY Linux upgrade.

Table 10     Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for  Release 6.1(5x)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp189359

You can export the a lot of data using BAT if you want to do a fresh install, however you'll need to handle the data to add all the new mandatory fields 6.1(5) has and your BAT file won't have.

It's possible but it requires some work on the CSV files.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

If you get to 4.1(3) then you could also upgrade directly to CUCM 7.1(3b)SU2 which has proven to be a VERY stable version of code.  Definitely worth your time to go that route.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

There is possibly one misunderstanding:

"My understanding is that the Attendant Console needs to be ordered  seperatly and needs a dedicated Windows server with ver CUCM 7.1".  This depends.  If you are a greenfield customer (i.e., brand new install - then yes, this is what was put out by Cisco).  However, upgrade customers have had access to AC on the CUCM all the way thru 7.x.  And, in reality - greenfield customers could still acess the plug-in too ... it is just hidden.  So, 7.x does not preclude use of AC.  The main point there is that once the customer gets to 8.x, the built-in AC is gone.  By gone, I mean all of the components and services are stripped from the code ... hence, separate server / software required.

Hailey

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You always need to be on the latest release from the CCM train you're on, in your case it's mandatory to be in 4.1(3) for ANY Linux upgrade.

Table 10     Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for  Release 6.1(5x)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp189359

You can export the a lot of data using BAT if you want to do a fresh install, however you'll need to handle the data to add all the new mandatory fields 6.1(5) has and your BAT file won't have.

It's possible but it requires some work on the CSV files.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

If you get to 4.1(3) then you could also upgrade directly to CUCM 7.1(3b)SU2 which has proven to be a VERY stable version of code.  Definitely worth your time to go that route.

Hailey

Thank you, Hailey.

I agree with you that they should go with more stable later version. But the customer had ordered 6.5 in 2008 and hasn't done the upgrade till now. Another reason is that they use Attendant Console heavily. My understanding is that the Attendant Console needs to be ordered seperatly and needs a dedicated Windows server with ver CUCM 7.1. So I would just upgrade to 6.1(5). But please correct me if I am wrong.

Michael

There is possibly one misunderstanding:

"My understanding is that the Attendant Console needs to be ordered  seperatly and needs a dedicated Windows server with ver CUCM 7.1".  This depends.  If you are a greenfield customer (i.e., brand new install - then yes, this is what was put out by Cisco).  However, upgrade customers have had access to AC on the CUCM all the way thru 7.x.  And, in reality - greenfield customers could still acess the plug-in too ... it is just hidden.  So, 7.x does not preclude use of AC.  The main point there is that once the customer gets to 8.x, the built-in AC is gone.  By gone, I mean all of the components and services are stripped from the code ... hence, separate server / software required.

Hailey