cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Cisco Unity 4.2 to 7 (On New Hardware)

leandro-contino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, im confused about unity upgrade, i have Cisco Unity 4.2 with UM and Exchange 2003 as Partner message Store, now im going to migrate to Cisco Unity 7 in a new server separately from Cisco unity 4.2, the question is, how can import in unity 7, the information configured in 4.2 ?

Windows 2003 (Unity 7)
integridad de la base (Unity   4)
DIRT (Unity 4)
Licenciamiento
Update the Active Directory schema  Extending the Active Directory Schema for   Cisco Unity(Unity 7)
new   Active Directory accounts for Cisco Unity installation and services. (Opcional)
Permissions wizard (Unity 7) (Se haya   cumplido o no el paso anterior)
Cuspa (Unity 7)
Cuica (upgrade) (Unity 7)

In wich phase of the fresh install can I upgrade my Cisco Unity 4.2 Backup ?

Thnks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok. To address your questions:

Do you know if COBRAS app is approved by TAC? YES, COBRAS is an approved and supported tool. It is available at www.ciscounitytools.com. There are 3 tools - Export, Import, and Data Viewer. All are supported.

I know that there is another plan to migrate:

-Backup 4.2 with Dirt

-Install 4.2 in new server and Restore with Dirt

-Then Install 7.0 and select the upgrade Option in CUICA.

You could go this route; however, it will take you MUCH longer than the COBRAS route. I've done both. I stick with COBRAS almost exclusively and particularly for off-box migrations (i.e., new servers were purchased for the upgrade). You will have to install Unity on the new servers to the exact same version and ES as the current installation. Otherwise, you cannot restore via DiRT. I do not like this approach. For most customers, it is better to start clean with a fresh Unity install on the new servers and then import via COBRAS. I highly recommend the COBRAS approach...but yes, you can take the route noted above.

I've got Exchange and AD Off Box(corporate) - do you know if I have to create new accounts and run Permissions Wizard? This depends on a few factors. In your case, if you are currently set up as Unified Messaging (Corporate AD and Exchange are leveraged by Unity) then the accounts already exist. This is where GSM comes into play. You would use GSM to clean up the old Unity server association in AD and "move" the accounts to the new Unity 7 server. If you are voicemail-only, then it depends on the version of Exchange. I believe you are running Exchange 2003. In that case, you would import the corporate users and then use the Data Viewer tool to re-map old aliases to new aliases prior to COBRAS import. As for Permissions Wizard, YES - you will run it again in either scenario. Unity will not install unless it detects that Permissions Wizard has been run locally on the box which you are installing to.

For more info on COBRAS, you can take a look at this http://www.netcraftsmen.net/user-group/c-mug-archive/824-cisco-unity-connection-migration.html in addition to reading the Help file for the tool (this is a mandatory task - read the Help file).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The process is as follows:

Build the new Unity 7 system and get it integrated with AD/Exchange.

Download and install COBRAS Export (www.ciscounitytools.com) on the Unity 4.2 system.

Review the Help file for COBRAS and build any components that cannot be migrated on the Unity 7 system.

Run COBRAS Export on the Unity 4.2 server.

Configure GSM (Global Subscriber Manager) as described in the Help file.  This tool is available in Unity Tools Depot or can be downloaded from www.ciscounitytools.com.  You will later use this to move the user records (actually the Unity server association) from Unity 4.2 to the Unity 7x server.

Download and install COBRAS Import on the Unity 7 system.

Run COBRAS Import to migrate the data from the export DB of the Unity 4.2 system.

Run GSM to move user accounts between servers.

That's the general steps.  You can search thru the posts for more specifics on the exact order but you will be using COBRAS and GSM to make this happen.

D. Hailey

Ok David, thnks for your request, Do you know if COBRAS app is approved by TAC ?

-Backup 4.2 with Dirt

Finally, I've Exchange and AD Off Box(corporate), Do you know if i have to create newly the accounts ? and run Permision Wizard?

Thnks in advance !

Ok. To address your questions:

Do you know if COBRAS app is approved by TAC? YES, COBRAS is an approved and supported tool. It is available at www.ciscounitytools.com. There are 3 tools - Export, Import, and Data Viewer. All are supported.

-Backup 4.2 with Dirt

You could go this route; however, it will take you MUCH longer than the COBRAS route. I've done both. I stick with COBRAS almost exclusively and particularly for off-box migrations (i.e., new servers were purchased for the upgrade). You will have to install Unity on the new servers to the exact same version and ES as the current installation. Otherwise, you cannot restore via DiRT. I do not like this approach. For most customers, it is better to start clean with a fresh Unity install on the new servers and then import via COBRAS. I highly recommend the COBRAS approach...but yes, you can take the route noted above.

I've got Exchange and AD Off Box(corporate) - do you know if I have to create new accounts and run Permissions Wizard? This depends on a few factors. In your case, if you are currently set up as Unified Messaging (Corporate AD and Exchange are leveraged by Unity) then the accounts already exist. This is where GSM comes into play. You would use GSM to clean up the old Unity server association in AD and "move" the accounts to the new Unity 7 server. If you are voicemail-only, then it depends on the version of Exchange. I believe you are running Exchange 2003. In that case, you would import the corporate users and then use the Data Viewer tool to re-map old aliases to new aliases prior to COBRAS import. As for Permissions Wizard, YES - you will run it again in either scenario. Unity will not install unless it detects that Permissions Wizard has been run locally on the box which you are installing to.

For more info on COBRAS, you can take a look at this http://www.netcraftsmen.net/user-group/c-mug-archive/824-cisco-unity-connection-migration.html in addition to reading the Help file for the tool (this is a mandatory task - read the Help file).

Hailey

Quick question about COBRAS (sorry to jump into the middle here).

We are migrating from 4.0(5) and were requested to run COBRAS so that it can be applied to the new server.  It's not currently installed on our Unity server.  I found the download, but was hesitant to run the install.  Are there any possible dangers?  I noticed that the install doesn't require a reboot which is good, but didn't want to do this install during the normal work hours if it could cause any down time.

Thanks!

No, there is no danger installing the tool. It's like most of the Unity Tools that you could install, it runs setup, installs, and then you can access it without reboot.

dave thanks for your help full

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: