cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Unity 4.2 to Unity Connections 7.0

joe.conger
Level 1
Level 1

I'm upgrading from Unity 4.2/Exchange to Unity Connections 7.0.

I noticed that the System Prompts/Conversations are not nearly as good(Professional, Clarity, Fluidity/Cadence...etc) as they are in 4.2. I tried both the classic and standard conversations and ther is really no difference between them. It's disappointing to have prompts that appear to be of lesser quality.

Joe

13 Replies 13

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Im a little confused on the not as good. You mean the recordings are not good quality or?

The voicemail records are fine. The system prompts and menus are not good compared to the 4.x version I currently run.

The voice used for the 4.x menus/prompts is definately much better in regards sound clarity and voice quality.

I'll have to compare, i guess I did not notice. Check your phone though, on the new CUCM 6.x and 7.x, they advertise G722 codec by default which sounds like garbage in my opinion.

The menus should be close to the same, but if they are not, it could be a bug. I have a meeting with Cisco to go over some other issues I have with 7.x CUC. For example, you cant bulk edit the users to turn on/off Voice Recognition. You also can not create a new call handler based on another call handler.. which stinks.

I just installed our 7.x systems(UCM, Unity, UCCX) this week. Everything else seems to work as anticipated other then the Unity menu quality issue.

It just doesn't sound nearly as professional as our existing 4.x environment.

I'll mention that to BU next week and reference this post.

Cheers!

Hi Joe -

Would you have information willing to share on your migration process from Unity 4.2 to CUC 7.X - in the area of COBRA (which I have tested, but not in production mode); whether you enabled VUI for your users; licensing experience such as registering your PUT Unity to Unity Connection Migration PAK key to licensing and how your existing Unity 4.2 keys and user licenses moved over to CUC? Thanks in advance for any user experience you can provide. I will be doing same soon for 5 Unity servers.

Sincerely, Ginger

Ginger,

Our vendor did most of the leg work in regards to getting us the licenses based on our existing Smartnet contracts. We are not going to implement the VUI feature to use voice commands.

As you can probably imagine the COBRAs utility takes a long time to export the config and messages for the 4.x Unity.

Right now our new environment is in a testing mode so sometime in the near future we will be moving it all to production(UCM, UCXX, CUC). At that time we will probably not use COBRAs to move our existing messages.

Wish I could be more of help but our environment appears to much smaller and less complex then yours.

Joe

Hi Joe -

Nice of you to post back :-) Best wishes and success for your migration too!

Ginger

Hi Tommer -

Thanks for the update! I just realized the create call handler based on another call handler is not available in CUC - we use that feature alot!! Regarding the Voice recognition, it's not as easy, but the BAT tool can update a user's COS. I created one COS with voice recognition enabled and one without for testing. By the way, I am "mildly" envious you get the opportunity to discuss CUC 7.X with Cisco directly :-)

Sincerely, Ginger

if you have some other issues or concerns, voice them! i'll pass them on.

Rob mention the COS by applying it and it did not work for me. Not sure if it was because it was a CUMBE issue or just general issue

Hi again -

That would be cool!! What is the deadline to get this info to you and may I email to you? If that's OK, you can email me at kavang@saccounty.net.

Ginger

Something you might want to let them know about is the fact that the bulk edit tool has no progress indicator and times out after a while. I was trying to update 3800 accounts and now I don't know which accounts were updated and which weren't. :(

I'm going to open an SR on Monday, but I figured if you were talking to them.....

Will do!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: