Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade Unity and CM

Hi,

What do I need to do to upgrade my CM 8.5.1, and Unity 8.0.3 to the newest version.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

The road to 10.X depends heavily on your current deployment. This varies from physical server deployments to VM on UCS deployments.  First if you are currently on physical MCS servers,  you will have to change your deployment.  CUCM 10 and beyond is supported only in a Virtualized environment.  Next if you are already virtualized, you will need to verify that you have current ESW and UCSS SmartNet coverage support. UCSS (allows you to upgrade to new major releases) is all you need, but ESW (allows patching within your release) is a prerequisite SKU dependency.  If you have this support, you should be able to utilize Cisco's Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) to obtain the necessary licensing (www.cisco.com/upgrade).  There are plenty of caveats when it comes to migrating to the new licensing management systems, so I would suggest you open a TAC case for support in migrating if you have never done this or truly don't feel comfortable with learning it all from reading support PDFs.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

The road to 10.X depends heavily on your current deployment. This varies from physical server deployments to VM on UCS deployments.  First if you are currently on physical MCS servers,  you will have to change your deployment.  CUCM 10 and beyond is supported only in a Virtualized environment.  Next if you are already virtualized, you will need to verify that you have current ESW and UCSS SmartNet coverage support. UCSS (allows you to upgrade to new major releases) is all you need, but ESW (allows patching within your release) is a prerequisite SKU dependency.  If you have this support, you should be able to utilize Cisco's Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) to obtain the necessary licensing (www.cisco.com/upgrade).  There are plenty of caveats when it comes to migrating to the new licensing management systems, so I would suggest you open a TAC case for support in migrating if you have never done this or truly don't feel comfortable with learning it all from reading support PDFs.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.  I am in total VM environment with mix 2003 & 2008 servers.  Currently I have CM 8.5.1 and Unity 8.0.3.  I believe the newest versions respectively is CM 10.5 & unity 8.6.  Is there a in-place upgrade where I can jump into the newest version or do I have to go thru the increment steps by update release.  I am very new to Cisco.  Please provide as much as info as possible also as step-by-step and detailed as possible.  If you need additional info from me please let me know.  fereydoon@lessorsinc.com

Thank you

I believe you are on the direct roadmap path.  You want to look at the release documentation, since the VM builds may require virtual server hardware changes.  There are some changes regarding the way licensing is managed, so make sure you read up on Cisco Prime Licensing Manager.  From Cisco Collaboration System 10.x SRND (Start at page 28-6):

Cisco Collaboration System Release 10.x provides centralized license management whereby license usage moves away from the Device License Unit (DLU) concept and implements user-based licensing, thereby matching what a customer actually purchases. This new licensing model for 10.x releases is under the management of the Cisco Prime License Manager (Prime LM), previously named Enterprise License Manager (ELM), with added new features.

Try these links for better understanding:

CUCM Upgrade 10.5(1): http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/ucmapMigrate/10_5_1/CUCM_BK_M24251C0_00_migrate-procedure-for-cucm_1051.pdf

10.0 Version:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100.pdf

I am not sure about Unity going past 8.0(3).  Are you sure you do not have Unity Connection vs. Unity?  If it is Unity Connection, which is commonly deployed with on the same VM host as CUCM, they are also up to release 10.5. 

We have two different VM servers, one for CM and one for unity with different IP addresses.  Under system and configuration option in Unity I get all 8.0.3.3.  How do I know if I am running Unity or Unity connection?  I have attached what I get from our Unity.

Thanks

It may be Unity, Unity Connection screen would look like this:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/314m2rYyXL8/maxresdefault.jpg

Since you mentioned migrating, I want to make sure I explained myself.  I am only upgrading.  My VM environment has sufficient resources (RAM & CPU).  I know I can get the necessary licensing and software from Cisco, but will the support be free when I create a TAC case with Cisco?  I want to know if I can go directly from CM 8.5.1 to 10.5 and Unity 8.0.3 to 8.6.  Also what else is involved with this upgrade and where I can get step by step instruction, etc...

Thanks