Cisco Support Community
Community Member

upgrade unity connection 2.x to 9.x

Hi gents,

Today I have 2 clusters of CUCM with each one having a Cisco Unity Connection in version 2.x.

I want to upgrade from version 2.x to version 9.x the CUC on new HW platform (UCS).

I also want to reduce cost and deploy only one CUC that will be shared by the 2 CUCM Clusters.

My questions are:

- What is the upgrade path for Unity connection to go from version 2.x to version 9.x (with new servers)?

- Can I use migration tools to migrate 2 different Unity Connection system into 1 new system or do I need to rebuild configuration manually?

Many thanks for your help.                 

VIP Super Bronze

1. CXN follows the CUCM software compability matrix except that CXN 2.x corrosponds to CUCM 6.x. The only way you can get directly to 9.1 is if you're running 2.1(4) or 2.1(5); otherwise, it's a two-hop upgrade.
  2. Yes you could use COBRAS Briefcase Mode to import the mailboxes from one into the other. You would need to upgrade both servers to at least 7.0 for COBRAS to work though.

By far the easiest course of action here would be to build a new CXN 9.1 instance and then use COBRAS to migrate mailboxes and call handlers from both systems forward. Again, the source servers must be at 7.0 or better for the APIs to exist.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Community Member

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your help.

So I need fisrt to upgrade existing system to Unity connection version 7 in order to be able to use COBRA?

My actual HW system are MCS 7835H2 and MCS7845H2 and not sure they can support CUC v7...

I have 4GB RAM per server and 72 GB HDD.

Actual Unity Connection version is

Cisco Unity Connection version:

CreatePlease to create content