cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Unity Connection to UCS (battery issue)

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We are starting the process of upgrading our enviroment to UCS and are going to start with Connection.  We need to upgrade it 7.1(3) inorder to do the jump upgrade.  The write cache battery has failed on the server.  The server is EOS and we have purchased a replacement battery pack and it was good for a few weeks but it now shows to be failed again.  Is it possible to proceed with the upgrade even though the battery is failed?  Wewill be moving off this platform as soon as we can perform the upgrade steps.

Thanks,

Joe

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The jump upgrade procedure is ONLY for CUCM, anything else. For CUC your options are to either upgrade to (at least) a CUC version which supports virtualization to DRS backup/restore, or to use COBRAS.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/9x/upgrade/guide/9xcucrugx/9xcucrug025.html

From I am reading this states that you can upgrade the connection server to 7.1(3) and then install that same version on the UCS and restore the DRS. This can then be upgraded to 9.X, perform a DRS backup. I assume you would then do a clean install of 9.X and do a DRS restore. I might not be reading it correctly. If the Cobras method is used is anything lost in the migration of the data?

Thanks,

Joe
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

Although the upgrade is not officially called a "Jump" upgrade when

referencing Unity Connection the steps involved are almost exactly the

same as a CUCM "Jump" upgrade

I did not know this was supported until reading the good doc you linked

so thanks for the nice update!

This note does confirm the supported nature of this method to move

from a CUC 7.1(3) MCS build to a 9.1(x) build on UCS;

Caution

Running Unity Connection 7.1(3) in a virtual environment for any longer than is required for the migration is not supported.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/9x/upgrade/guide/9xcucrugx/9xcucrug025.html

I am not a server expert by any means but I believe the Write Cache battery is a bit of a

final failure protection mechanism. See;

This thread from Mark;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3026969#3026969

Write-Cache

#

A  disabled write-cache on the server also causes the upgrade process to  run more slowly. Multiple factors, including dead batteries on older  servers, can cause the write-cache to get disabled.

#

Before  starting an upgrade, verify the status of the write-cache on the  MCS-7828-H4 and MCS-7835/45 disk controllers. You do not need to verify  the write-cache status on the MCS-7816, MCS-7825, or other MCS-7828  servers. To verify write-cache status, access the Cisco Unified  Operating System Administration, and choose Show > Hardware.

#

If  you determine that your write-cache is disabled because of a dead  battery, you need to replace the hard disk controller cache battery.  Follow your local support procedures to get this battery replaced.

#

See the following examples of output from the Show > Hardware menu for details on determining the battery and write-back cache status.

#

The  following example shows write-cache enabled. The example indicates that  50 percent of the cache is reserved for write and 50 percent of the  cache is reserved for read. If the write-cache was disabled, 100 percent  of the cache would be reserved for read or the Cache Status would not  equal "OK". Also, the battery count equals "1". If the controller  battery was dead or missing, it would indicate "0".

So the next step here is to have a look at the show>hardware

Cheers!

Rob

PS: what exact build are you currently running?

"Seek it out and ye shall find  " 

- OneRepublic

We are currently running 7.1.2ES9.21900-9.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rob,

Is there anything that could be lost by using Cobras to upgrade?  From you experience would I be ok in doing the steps above or simply using Cobras?

Thanks,

Joe