cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading callmanager 4.1(3) to 5.1(3) to new servers

dkwnetltd
Level 1
Level 1

I am replacing my old servers with the newer servers ( 7825-H3) which will run CCM 5.1.

The documented process for upgrading from 4.1 to 5.1 doesn't mention migrating to different servers.

Do I take the tar file created by the DMA tool on the publisher and import during installtion of 5.1 on the new server?

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You are in very good shape since you have new servers. Here is what i would do.

a. Take BARS backup of existing publisher (Your current publisher in production)

b. Store it in an external USB drive

c. Install same version of 4.x (including patches) on new server (This builds a new 4.x Publisher). Things to note here are the Server name and IP address needs to be same as the existing production servers. So you will need to connect these new servers for now into a temporary switch, not connected into the production network, to avoid ip address conflicts.

d. Restore the backed up database from the backup tar file you did in step a

e. Take a Ghost or Acronis backup of new server you just built. Store it in USB drive. This is an insurance in case the new server you built craps out.

f. Install BARS on Publisher and take a fresh backup of the new DB. Store it in USB drive. This is an insurance in case the database you restored craps out.

g. Install Callmanager Upgrade utility and run it until all errors are fixed

h. Install DMA (latest version) -This will need to match up with the version of 5.0 you are installing. If CM 5.0 version is 5.0(4), then download DMA version 5.0(4)

i. If DMA throws out errors, you may have to call TAC (1-800-553-2447). Off late i have seen good success with DMA even though i have had some "bad experiences" with DMA in the past. I think Cisco has worked out the bugs with DMA tool.

j. DMA outputs the database into a tar file. Store this tar file in a usb drive or in a server that can run SFTP or FTP

k. Install 5.0 or 5.1 on the new server and in the wizard, select Windows upgrade. This will let you specify the ip address of remote SFTP or FTP server and data location and pull the tar file down.

l. The 2 nodes (publisher and subscriber) and the phone counts (converted into DLUs) will show up in the License Unit report page in Callmanager after the upgrade.

m. Add each subscriber as a node on the publisher, before starting a fresh install on Subscribers.

n. You will need to download this license file from Cisco Callmanager and email licensing at cisco dot com to tie the mac address of publisher to this license file.

o. Upload the new license file into Cisco Callmanager.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi Sankar,

Nice to see you back posting your usual great answers. 5 points for this awesome work!

Take care,

Rob

Thanks Rob.

i ve been busy with vacation and work for some time.

Feels nice to get back to Netpro!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks for the help Sankar.

Is it not possible to bypass c.) and head to k.) ( with my .tar file extracted from the 'old' publisher? Does the upgrade process detect to see if windows is installed?

Dan

Dan,

My procedure helps you not touch your existing server in production at all. If you want to run BARS and DMA on the Publisher in production, definitely that is possible. There is one reboot involved while installing DMA. While installing DMA your database will be in a locked status which means no MAC changes during that time.

Installing a new CM 4.x server, running DMA on that, gives you a lot of time and less risk. Thats all.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: