cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cluster without switch version

Ess Emque
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I just want to be clear to an upgrade I will be performing in future. We have CUCM cluster and want to know if it is possible to do the upgrade on the publisher (without switch version) and then continue to upgrade the subscribers, then switch version on all - or do I need to switch version on publisher before I can continue to update subscribers?

Also, I think that in the past, the upgrade takes a copy of the database when you upgrade, so you need to switch version soon after upgrade or you will loose any changes. Is this remain the case? Is this also the case for UCCX? I remember maybe reading in the past that it does the database differently.

Thanks to you all

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ess,

You can install the upgrade file on the Publisher first, do not reboot. Then install the upgrade file on the subscribers. Once done, do a switch version on the Publisher. Once the switch version is complete on the Publisher, proceed with the switch version on the subscribers. Any changes that you make on the cluster between installing the upgrade file and doing a switch version will be lost.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ess,

In addition to the great tips from my friend Manish (+5)

You didn't mention the to/from CUCM versions but here is an example

User Provisioning

For upgrades from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.x, changes that are made to the following user-facing features get preserved after the upgrade completes:

Call Forward All (CFA)

Message Waiting Indication (MWI)

Privacy Enable/Disable

Do Not Disturb Enable/Disable (DND)

Extension Mobility Login (EM)

Hunt Group Logout

Device Mobility

CTI CAPF status for end users and application users

Credential hacking and authentication

Recording enabling

Single Number Reach enabling

Upgrading a Cluster in Parallel

When you upgrade a cluster that is running a supported version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5(1),  begin upgrading the first node first. You can begin upgrading  subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node reaches a specified  point in the upgrade.

During the upgrade of the first node, view the installation log,  install_log_.log, by using the Software  Installation/Upgrade window in Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration  or the command line interface (CLI). You can begin the upgrade of the  subsequent nodes after the following information displays in the log:

PRODUCT_TARGET is

PRODUCT_NAME is

PRODUCT_VERSION is

You can also use the CLI to search for the relevant information in the install log by following this procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 List the install logs; for example:

file list install install_* date

install_log_2008-10-01.09.41.57.log     install_log_2008-10-08.12.59.29.log

install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log     

dir count = 0, file count = 3

Step 2 Search the most recent install log for the string PRODUCT_VERSION; for example:

file search install install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log PRODUCT_VERSION

Searching path: /var/log/install/install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log

Searching file: /var/log/install/install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log

10/14/2008 09:52:14 upgrade_os.sh|PRODUCT_VERSION is 7.1.0.39000-97|<:INFO>

Search completed

Step 3 When the file search command finds the PRODUCT_VERSION string in the install log, you can start the upgrade of the subsequent nodes.

Caution If  you want to upgrade the subsequent nodes in parallel with the first  node, do not choose the Reboot to upgraded partition on either first  node or subsequent nodes while configuring the upgrade options. If  selected, the first node may complete its upgrade and reboot while the  subsequent nodes are upgrading, which causes the upgrade of the  subsequent nodes to fail.

When you are ready to activate the new version, you must activate the  new software on the first node before activating it on all other nodes. .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_5_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1076243

Cheers!

Rob

"Seek it out and ye shall find  " 

- OneRepublic

Hi Ess,

Specifically for UCCX i found the following in an internal Cisco doc

Application data  is migrated to the newer version of Unified CCX automatically while switching the version.

Historical data is stored in common partition so that it is common to both active and inactive versions.

During rollback to older version of Unified CCX, Configuration / Historical data is not migrated back.

Let's see if Rob or anyone else has something to add to this.

Manish

9 Replies 9

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ess,

You can install the upgrade file on the Publisher first, do not reboot. Then install the upgrade file on the subscribers. Once done, do a switch version on the Publisher. Once the switch version is complete on the Publisher, proceed with the switch version on the subscribers. Any changes that you make on the cluster between installing the upgrade file and doing a switch version will be lost.

HTH

Manish

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ess,

In addition to the great tips from my friend Manish (+5)

You didn't mention the to/from CUCM versions but here is an example

User Provisioning

For upgrades from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.x, changes that are made to the following user-facing features get preserved after the upgrade completes:

Call Forward All (CFA)

Message Waiting Indication (MWI)

Privacy Enable/Disable

Do Not Disturb Enable/Disable (DND)

Extension Mobility Login (EM)

Hunt Group Logout

Device Mobility

CTI CAPF status for end users and application users

Credential hacking and authentication

Recording enabling

Single Number Reach enabling

Upgrading a Cluster in Parallel

When you upgrade a cluster that is running a supported version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5(1),  begin upgrading the first node first. You can begin upgrading  subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node reaches a specified  point in the upgrade.

During the upgrade of the first node, view the installation log,  install_log_.log, by using the Software  Installation/Upgrade window in Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration  or the command line interface (CLI). You can begin the upgrade of the  subsequent nodes after the following information displays in the log:

PRODUCT_TARGET is

PRODUCT_NAME is

PRODUCT_VERSION is

You can also use the CLI to search for the relevant information in the install log by following this procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 List the install logs; for example:

file list install install_* date

install_log_2008-10-01.09.41.57.log     install_log_2008-10-08.12.59.29.log

install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log     

dir count = 0, file count = 3

Step 2 Search the most recent install log for the string PRODUCT_VERSION; for example:

file search install install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log PRODUCT_VERSION

Searching path: /var/log/install/install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log

Searching file: /var/log/install/install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log

10/14/2008 09:52:14 upgrade_os.sh|PRODUCT_VERSION is 7.1.0.39000-97|<:INFO>

Search completed

Step 3 When the file search command finds the PRODUCT_VERSION string in the install log, you can start the upgrade of the subsequent nodes.

Caution If  you want to upgrade the subsequent nodes in parallel with the first  node, do not choose the Reboot to upgraded partition on either first  node or subsequent nodes while configuring the upgrade options. If  selected, the first node may complete its upgrade and reboot while the  subsequent nodes are upgrading, which causes the upgrade of the  subsequent nodes to fail.

When you are ready to activate the new version, you must activate the  new software on the first node before activating it on all other nodes. .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_5_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1076243

Cheers!

Rob

"Seek it out and ye shall find  " 

- OneRepublic

Rob,

Thanks for pointing out the user facing changes information, its a common query from lot of Cisco customers and partners [+5].

Manish

Thank you both for the great answers, it is very helpful.

Was I also right to think that when CUCM upgrades, it takes a copy of the database so any further changes on the database between switch version will be lost?

Is this also the same for UCCX as I remember reading that this is actually different, and maybe has one common database?

Thanks for your help

I am talking about from this link -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2099365

The common understanding is that configuration is migrated during the upgrade, this is a CUCM concept.

UCCX and Unity only migrates the configuration data when you switch version.

There  is no changes to the Historical data as it sits on the common   partition is avaliable to both the active/inactive partition.

This  is somthing that requires a documentation update, I am still looking  through the avaliable documents wither its already avaliable. Should I  not beable to find it, I'll look at filing for a documentation update  assuming this information is also avaliable for CUCM.

Hoai

Hi Ess,

Good to know that the information helped. regarding your first question , Rob has already mentioned the user facing features that will be preserved even after the upgrade file has been installed on the server.

For UCCX, as per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_8_5/configuration/guide/uccx851osag.pdf

Unified CCX 8.5(1) software upgrade process consists of successful installation of the upgrade software to the inactive partition followed by the switch version process. You can install upgrade software on your server while the system continues to operate. Two partitions exist on your system: an active, bootable partition and an inactive, bootable partition. The system boots up and operates entirely on the partition that is marked as the active partition.

When you install upgrade software, you install the software on the inactive partition. The system continues to function normally while you are installing the software. When you are ready, you activate the inactive partition and reboot the

system with the new upgrade software by running the switch version process. The current active partition will then get id

entified as the inactive partition when the system restarts. The current software remains in the inactive partition until the next upgrade. Your configuration information migrates automatically to the upgraded version in the active partition.

If for any reason you decide to back out of the upgrade, you can restart the system to the inactive partition that contains the older version of the software. However, any configuration changes that you made since you upgraded the software will get lost.

You can only make changes to the database on the active partition. The database on the inactive partition does not get updated. If you make changes to the database after an upgrade, you must repeat those changes after switching back the partition to the older version

HTH

Manish

Brilliant Manish, but I think "You can only make changes to the database on the active  partition. The database on the inactive partition does not get updated.  If you make changes to the database after an upgrade, you must repeat  those changes after switching back the partition to the older version" applies only if I do the upgrade, then try go back to older version. I realise the changes will not be replicated, but according to the thread I like to, the settings (database) etc don't get moved until I switch version on UCCX, not actually during the upgrade like with CUCM? Sorry if this is confusing. I thank you for all your help on this.

Hi Ess,

Specifically for UCCX i found the following in an internal Cisco doc

Application data  is migrated to the newer version of Unified CCX automatically while switching the version.

Historical data is stored in common partition so that it is common to both active and inactive versions.

During rollback to older version of Unified CCX, Configuration / Historical data is not migrated back.

Let's see if Rob or anyone else has something to add to this.

Manish

Perfect Manish, this is exactly what I needed to know. It seems that with CUCM, the application data is migrated during the upgrade but with UCCX is only migrated during switch version.

Thanks you very much for all your help