Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrading Exchange on the Cisco Unity System 5.5 - 2000 vm only

Hi,

Current setup:

Unity 4.0.3 VM only -

Exchange 5.5 Message Store (Onbox)

Just upgraded from 3.1(2)

100 subscribers

loads of callhandlers as well.

Does anybody have any experience doing a DIRT restore from a similar system as above onto the same version of Unity with Exchange 2000 as the message store (onbox)?

When I tried to run DIRT restore on the new server which has a 2000 message store on box using the data from the 5.5 msg store the server just hung for about 2 hours. I then had to abort this and the new Unity was then unusable.

I'm looking at maybe having to upgrade the current EX 5.5 message store on the Unity server by setting up an Active Directory Connector.

However this statement from the unity reconfiguration guide seems to say that this cannot be done as my existing Unity box is a domain controller and an Exchange 5.5 server:

Caution Do not make any Exchange 5.5 servers into domain controller/global catalog servers. Doing so during a migration to Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 is not supported by Microsoft, and Cisco Unity will not function properly in such a configuration.

Is anybody able to offer any advice on this. Am I interpreting this wrongly? We need to get them onto new hardware and keep all the data. The new server cannot be left on Exchange 5.5 as it is no longer supported.

Thanks

Damian

2 REPLIES

Re: Upgrading Exchange on the Cisco Unity System 5.5 - 2000 vm o

Damian,

This is very tricky and complicated as Unity and Exchange are in the same box.

one of the early tasks in an upgrade from Microsoft Exchange 5.5 to Microsoft Exchange 2000 or 2003 is installing a two-way Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Connector. This replicates data from the Microsoft Exchange 5.5 directory to Active Directory and back again. Imagine doing this in one and the same box where both appliction resides and then making it and DC. When data is replicated from Active Directory to the Microsoft Exchange 5.5 directory, a large portion of the Cisco Unity data in the Microsoft Exchange 5.5 directory is corrupted.

Re: Upgrading Exchange on the Cisco Unity System 5.5 - 2000 vm o

I thought Cisco may have thought about this scenario but they only have documents detailing off box message store migration. In my case the 5.5 message store is on the DC and there is no documentation for upgrading this to 2000 that I can see.

I will try to restore the data without including subscriber messages. Following that if it fails I guess I will have have to manually recreate all the data.

D

Views
Helpful
Replies