Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading UCS hosts running Call Manager

Darren Lynn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all,

I have a client who currently runs CUCM etc on a UCS host running ESXi 4.1.

The client has upgraded their entire vurtualisation platform to ESX 5.0 and want to connect the CUCM UCS hosts to vCentre.  

We have explained the pro's and con's of managing the UCS hosts in vCentre, but they want to pursue it.

My question is, what do i have to do to upgrade the UCS hosts to ESXi 5.0 without causing any serious issues with CUCM and other apps?

do i need any specific licenses to include the ESXi hosts to vCenter once i upgrade.

I dont know where the ESXi lice4nses are coming from, whether through an existing VMware agreement or OEM through Cisco.

Cheers

Darren

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'll want to start by ensurring that the versions installed support ESXi 5. If they don't you will need to upgrade the VM first.

do i need any specific licenses to include the ESXi hosts to vCenter once i upgrade.

Yes. You would need the appropriate vCenter host management license. You should speak with a data center presales resource to understand the details.

Thanks Jonathan,

I'm still looking for a best practice process for upgrading the hosts to ESXi 5. usually we can just vmotion the VM's, put the host into maintanence mode and go on our merry way. As CUCM doesnt support vmotion, is there a way without impacting the CUCM (and other applications) VM's.

Im aware that I can shut down CUCM and the other application VM's and upgrade the hosts

I'll look into the license for the vCenter integration. Ive done this with BE6K so I'll assume its the same.

Cheers

As CUCM doesnt support vmotion,

Yes it does. Just don't be surprised if a few calls hickup when the VM is frozen for memory migration. In other words, do a vMotion operation during a maintenance window.