Views
Helpful
Replies

Use G729 between CUCM and CCME on IP WAN

nicanor00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have cucm 8 with router 2900 voice gateway on central site and CCME on 6 remote site (let say site A,B,C,D,E,F)

I need to reduce IP phone to ip phone call bandwidth on IP WAN between some site

Now I use G711 for all call

see below what  I plan to do

- Use G729  for call between cucm IP phone and ccme ip phone site (A,B,C,D)  and between ccme site (A,B,C,D)

- Internal ip phone call on each site (central site and site A,B,C,D,E,F)  will use G711 as now

- ip phone Call going and comming from site E and F to all other site (central site and site A,B,C,D) use G711 as now

I dont know how to implement it

I am new on this type of configuration

I already installed PVDM card on voice gateway and CCME

I need transcoding only for ip phone to ip phone call on the IP wan between some site

I use ip phone : 7962, 7942, 6921, 7911

Please help

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Configure the region between the CUCM phones and the H323/SIP trunk you use to reach CME to use G729.

On CME configure G729 directly under the VoIP DPs you use to reach other CMEs/CUCM or use a voice-class codec config.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Change your dial-peer configuration pointing to site other sites that you want to use G729 to use G729 codec, you do not need any transcoders for this. Basically assume site A to site B calls as 4XXX, your dial-peer should be :

dial-peer voice 10 voip

description site B

destination-pattern 4...

session target ipv4:x.x.x.x

codec g729r8

no vad

On CUCM you will need to change the region configuration to use G729 pointing to the CME GWs.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for your answer

I will try it

I wich case do I need transcoding ?

If I change only the codec as you suggest, conference call will still work ?

If not how can I configure it ?

Regards

Nic

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would recomend you think over and keep G.711 configured as only codec.

Let alone the bandwidth saving, that in today's networking is marginal, you will enjoy a better call quality, simplicity, and stability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: