cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using iPhone to check VM

Bruce Hirayama
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that wants to use his iPhone to check his VM. They will have Unity Connections 2.0 with IMAP installed on the CUCMBE platform. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so can you point me to a doc?

10 Replies 10

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

IMAP is IMAP. You can IMAP the messages to local client, being Outlook, iphone, whatever. they just need to login into the IMAP server (Unity Connection) to bring the email messages down to the client. The iPhone has to be able to play wav files. I have not tried it, but it may or may not work.

Thanks for the reply. After posting this message, I found one of my guys with an iPhone and tried it out and it works fine with IMAP!

Faced with a similar situation in needing IMAP accessibility into Unity Connection 2.0 which is running co-res on a CM6.0 BE box. I am able to successfully setup an IMAP client (mail.app) to check this box however when i attempt to connect to this same IMAP inbox via a mobile device (have tried a Windows Mobile and iPhone) it fails with a connection error. i am curious as to the reason for this and a possible fix. Is it perhaps that the mobile device is looking for a secure IMAP connection? Any insight as to how others have possibly gotten this to work would be appreciated.

Do you know for sure if your mobile device hitting the IMAP Server? you would have to statically map the IMAP ports from externally to internally of you firewall.

Example:

External IP 65.13.140.14

IMAP TCP:143

IMAP (SSL) TCP:993

mapped to internally

(NAT)

192.168.100.1 (Unity Connection server)

Not sure if this is your problem or?

The firewall is open and I am able to telent into port 143 and issue login and fetch commands. As a different test I also put one of the IPhones on the inside of the newtwork via WIFI. I was able to verify the IPHONE had inside address and was able to access inside only websites to our network. I then settup the IPHONE with the inside address of the unity connection IMAP (Incoming). Still have the same result as if being outside the firewall. We are able to make all pc and mac based clients connect just fine to IMAP inside or outside the network but any mobile device we use (Smart Phone, IPHONE) fails to connect....Any ideas?

I have this same issue. It appears that the mobile phone is trying to connect with IMAPS, but no certificate is sent back to the phone.

Both IMAP4 and IMAPS work with outlook, but IMAPS asks to accept the certificate.

Have you been able to resolve this?

We are noticing the same issue.

We enabled LDAP end user authentication and decided that we didn't want our network passwords going out there in clear text so we switched over to IMAPS. Outlook clients work just fine, but we have not been able to get the iPhone to connect on the internal network.

It appears that the cert is getting set on the iPhone but it errors out after a few minutes.

We are also looking at doing Mobile Advantage, but Cisco won;t have a client for iPhone until later this year (hoepfully)

When I try to play a unity message with iphone it gives me a codec error, what codec are you using, the default?

I would like to verify if you are using Unity Connection or Unity UM?

fr0z3nph03n1x
Level 1
Level 1

You might have to allow access from wireless on the exchange / imap server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: