cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Version of Microsoft SQL for Cisco Unity

rlee
Level 1
Level 1

We're installing Cisco Unity right now and the ONLY version of SQL server that Cisco is saying they will support with this product is SQL 2000 SP4. This was deprecated in April of 2008 and is out of regular support from Microsoft.

Now for a company like Cisco that prides itself on being the end-all for Network security surely they are not depending on a version of SQL server that is no longer supported by the manufacturer (AKA Microsoft).

Has Cisco Unity been replaced by a newer product line or is Cisco behind the power curve with security? Just wondering if maybe we're not looking at the right product anymore.

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The current version of Unity only supports SQL 2000.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/requirements/7xcusysreq.html

The forthcoming Unity 8.0 will support SQL 2005.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. It's a little dissapointing that a respected name like Cisco would use out of support products but I understand. I was skeptical when they told me that it was SQL 2000 since it's been out of support for over a year.

So they haven't come out with a product replacement or other option they are trying to move people to instead of Cisco Unity? (Sorry I'm still shaking my head that Cisco would let this happen.)

As I mentioned, the new version of Unity will support SQL 2005. Depending on the size of your deployment, Unity Connection is another option for you. UC is based on a Linux kernel and uses an Informix database instead of SQL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/index.html

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon,

Thanks for the link too.

It looks like due to the size of our company and some of the required feature sets we're stuck to the full Enterprise Unity software with the unsupported back end.

Cisco Unity 7.0

How soon is the 8.0 release coming out?

We were trying to get this installed by Friday but with the problems associated with our install it might be worth the wait.

Bob

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to be clear, Cisco (and many other companies) have extended support contracts for continued support (including fixes if need be) from Microsoft on SQL 2000. Microsoft's support statement for the general public doesn't apply here. Since the SQL installation on the Unity server is specific and dedicated to Unity and any problem you have with that server goes through Cisco support (who can and will open cases with Microsoft as needed) there shouldn't be any issues with being "out of support" here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: