Views
Helpful
Replies

VIEWMAIL INSTALLED OK BUT NOT WORKING

alicia.vega
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have trying to install a Cisco Unity Demonstration System with Unified Messaging, and testing ViewMail in Microsoft Oulook 2003.

Instalation of ViewMail seems to be ok. We have revised all points of:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008015c158.shtml

But the voice messages don't use the ViewMail format. We can see them as normal messages with .wav attached.

We cannot send voice messages either (we mark the "Record" button but nothing happens...)

Any idea? Thank you very much...

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

You didn't mention which version of VMO you were installing. Hopefully you are working with either VMO 4.0 (4) or 4.0(5). Here are some things to try that fix most problems:

1. Disable virus protection/scanning.

2. Close Outlook and make sure no other email messages are open or Activesync devices connected (Palmtops) as these keep Outlook open in memory.

Check the Outlook profile and make sure caching is turned off.

3. Uninstall ViewMail from Add/Remove programs.

4. Search hidden files and delete the following two files from the user's profile C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat and C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FORMS\frmcache.dat. Don't worry - these will be recreated when you open Outlook.

5. Make sure you have local administrative rights to the workstation for the user you are logged onto.

6. Make sure DCOM is enabled on the workstation.

7. If using Windows XP SP2, disable any firewall settings.

8. Reinstall VMO.

9. Start Outlook. You should see the icon in the Outlook Toolbar as well as ViewMail Options in the dropdown for Outlook - Tools.

10. Enable virus protection.

Something in your note confused me. You mentioned you mark the record button when sending and nothing happens. This sounds like you are seeing the Media Master form, which ViewMail installs. You should see the Media Master form (Play, Stop, Record buttons etc.) when you open an incoming voice message as well.

Best wishes, Ginger

Hi,

I have 4.0(5) installed.

I have followed the instructions but the problem keeps the same. Installation seems to be OK, but voice mails are arriving as attached .wav messages, without using the Viewmail form.

I have tried to install it in other PCs, with the same result, so could the problem be in Exchange server?

About your comment:

"Something in your note confused me. You mentioned you mark the record button when sending and nothing happens. This sounds like you are seeing the Media Master form, which ViewMail installs. You should see the Media Master form (Play, Stop, Record buttons etc.) when you open an incoming voice message as well."

--> Yes, I can see the Media Master form. If I pulse the "Record" button and I have selected "Phone" I get the message "This call cannot be made due to unknown problems" (or something similar, I have translated it from Spanish).

Thanks anyway!

Hi Alicia -

Something else to check:

1. From one of the PCs, go to Outlook - Tools

2. Select the Option Tab

3. Select the Other Tab

4. Select the Advanced Options Tab

5. Click on Add-on Manager and make sure the ViewMail Extensions is checked. Close this window.

6. Select the Custom Forms button

7. Select Manage Forms

Under the Personal Forms Library, you should see the ViewMail for Outlook form.

Note: If the form has been published in your Organization forms library and not to the user's Personal Forms library, make sure your PC clients have permission to access Organization forms. Personal forms library is part of the user's email, so this shouldn't be an issue if the form is published there. I'm still wondering if you are having a problem with ActiveX since it is happening to all of your users.

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: