cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan number which is more than 1024

vocitynet
Level 1
Level 1

I am testing the voip stuffs. we used many vlans for data,like 200. I want to just add digit "2" to the data vlan, and then get voice vlan number "2200". this way is easy for maintenance. Because everybody are familar with the data vlans.

the first issue comes out, I need open spanning-tree extend system-id in 6513switch. I am worried about whether has some potential risk or limit if I use the extended vlan number which is more than 1024?

Appreicaite your prompt reply...

2 Replies 2

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

Extended (VLAN numbers up to 4096) was first supported on the Catalyst 6000 series in CatOS 6.1(1), and on the Catalyst 4000 series in CatOS 7.2(1). When attempting to add an extended-range VLAN, one of the following messages is displayed (depending on the version of CatOS software):

An example for software version 7.3(2) is as follows:

Switch> (enable) set vlan 1040

VTP advertisements transmitting temporarily stopped,

and will resume after the command finishes.

Cannot set vlans in extended range.

Reduced Mac Address feature is disabled in NVRAM.

Switch> (enable)

An example for software version 6.1(4) is as follows:

K-4003 (enable) set vlan 1040

VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP) advertisements transmitting temporarily stopped,

and will resume after the command finishes.

VLAN number must be in the range 1..1005.K-4003 (enable)

The following example shows how to enable MAC address reduction and create an extended-range Ethernet VLAN:

Switch> (enable) set spantree macreduction enable

MAC address reduction enabled

Switch> (enable) set vlan 1040

Vlan 1040 configuration successful.

for 6500switch, I am using version of 12.2(33)SXH, combined catos into one IOS. I didn't meet the problems like macreduction. what i did just go to spanning-tree and enable the "spanning-tree extend system-id".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: