cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice messages retainment period

trunguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a law (Sarbanes-Oxley?)requiring public companies to reproduce backed up voicemail messages? I was told by a customer a while ago that if you do back your voicemail messages, you must be able to reproduce those messages for a period of up to 5 or 7 years. Is this true & if so please provide link to documentation explaining actual requirements.

Thanks, Trung Nguyen

1 Reply 1

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I did a google search on Sarbanes-Oxley voicemail to learn more and from what I have read, I can tell you that you need to talk to a real lawyer instead of asking the forum.

Here is an example of what I am referring to:

http://www.csoonline.com/counsel/session25/question2834.html

QUESTION:

Do you have to retain electronic records such as e-mail, voicemail and call detail records? If so, for how long?

ANSWER :

Record retention is a hot topic because of Sarbanes-Oxley, but there have always been laws and regulations regarding retention of e-mails and other communications. A recent study by Osterman Research indicated that fewer than 50 percent of companies kept critical e-mails. You should speak with your attorneys to understand how to apply the laws to your specific situation.

Answer Provided by: Fiona Williams

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: