cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Canceling Firmware Update Using the Firmware Policy

pjhowarth
Level 1
Level 1

If I modify the Firmware Policy with an incorrect version of firmware and it generates pending activities for hosts to get that on next reboot.  But I don't want them to get that firmware version.  Do I just go into pending activities and cancel them.  Then modify the policy again with the correct firmware version?  Or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

Pete

3 Replies 3

Canceling a pending task is more like an ignore. It won't go away or reoccur later. To make it go away, configure the SP back to the previous Host Firmware Package. The pending task will go away. 

Or you can skip the above and change the HFP directly from the incorrect/unwanted one to the required one. It will go through a non-disruptive "Reconfigure" tasks, which will complete and then still have a pending task for the required HFP. 

Note: what exactly the pending task is that it will apply is opaque to me. E.g. if I find a server with a pending task, I cannot check what the task is that it will apply. The most detail that I can get from UCSM or UCS Central is 

Pending Changes : operational-policies (which could be anything). Telling one which component is changing would be very helpful. 

I changed the HFP to the correct one and saved it.  But when I rebooted the host it still got the incorrect firmware version.

I have different results from yours. I just tested it twice, using the following UCS blade firmware versions (with service profiles managed by UCS Central - not that it should make a difference if the SPs are local or global):

• 4.2(1n) - original version
  • 4.1(3f) - wrong version
  • 4.2(3h) - correct version

Steps

• I changed the blade firmware from original to wrong version.
  • Blade SP went through a Configuration task, then showed "pending reboot"
  • I then changed the HFP from incorrect to correct version.
  • Blade SP went through a Configuration task, still showing "pending reboot"
  • I then rebooted the blade. It applied the correct version. 

I am running UCS infra bundle 4.2(3h) and UCS Central 2.0(1t)

If the above does not work for you, can you try changing HFP from wrong to original version? The pending reboot alert should clear after a couple of seconds. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card