Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.1(1a) go to 1.4 or 2.2?

I am running 2.1(1a) ucs software. Should i go to 2.2 or 1.4? What are the differences between these 2?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should go to 2.2.x version of UCS software, if you go to 1.4 you will be doing a downgrade of your system.

There are a lot of differences among all these versions. Between 2.1 to 2.2 some new features were added and between 1.4 and 2.x new features and zoning capability was added as well.

In the release notes you can find more details about it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/ucs_2_2_rn.html

Please rate all useful answers.

Regards.

Richard

Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

Cisco recommends schedule a maintenance window to do the upgrade.

If you have failover enabled in all interfaces in your services-profiles or some kind of virtual switch handling the network high availability the traffic disruption should be minimum.

Another issue that you have to be aware is whether multipath is properly configured, not just the vmware side, but checking if the entire SAN is working end-to-end with at least one path through each fabric interconnect.

Just in case, schedule a maintenance window and do the upgrade following the upgrade guide.

By my experience in field doing this with vmware, the upgrade process was 100% transparently to the applications so far.

Regards.

Richard.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should go to 2.2.x version of UCS software, if you go to 1.4 you will be doing a downgrade of your system.

There are a lot of differences among all these versions. Between 2.1 to 2.2 some new features were added and between 1.4 and 2.x new features and zoning capability was added as well.

In the release notes you can find more details about it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/ucs_2_2_rn.html

Please rate all useful answers.

Regards.

Richard

If i do the upgrade, will the vms lose network or storage connectivity? I have 2 FIs and each host has service profiles to both FIs.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

Cisco recommends schedule a maintenance window to do the upgrade.

If you have failover enabled in all interfaces in your services-profiles or some kind of virtual switch handling the network high availability the traffic disruption should be minimum.

Another issue that you have to be aware is whether multipath is properly configured, not just the vmware side, but checking if the entire SAN is working end-to-end with at least one path through each fabric interconnect.

Just in case, schedule a maintenance window and do the upgrade following the upgrade guide.

By my experience in field doing this with vmware, the upgrade process was 100% transparently to the applications so far.

Regards.

Richard.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content