cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6120XP in loop? How hard reset it?

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a used 6120XP cluster. They are correctly hooked up to each others L1 and L2. When I boot it up in goes straight into "Basic system configuration dialog". I set up te first one and choose "Apply new config". Then I go the the other unit (B) and set that up. It correctly finds its partner and downloads the config. The config is applied and then there was an error about different SSL certificates and it needs to reboot.  After reboot it went back to the "Basic system configuration dialog".

I wonder about this, and I wonder what previous action caused the system to start up in this mode. Why does it not just come up? Then I could have entered the erase config command for instance. But I cannot do that. I am stuck in this loop.

Any ideas? How can I hard reset these units?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Atle,

A few quick things you can try:

1) shut down the rebooting FI,

2) remove the l1/l2 cables (and any other if going to the chassis)

3) power up the FI, this should take it out of the reboot loop

4) you can login via the console and should be able to connect to the local-mgmt for a config erase.

Though the chances are less but can you make sure both the FIs are running the same UCSM and the switch firmware?

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Atle,

A few quick things you can try:

1) shut down the rebooting FI,

2) remove the l1/l2 cables (and any other if going to the chassis)

3) power up the FI, this should take it out of the reboot loop

4) you can login via the console and should be able to connect to the local-mgmt for a config erase.

Though the chances are less but can you make sure both the FIs are running the same UCSM and the switch firmware?

./Abhinav

hi,

I did this and this may be enough. I do however get some error message slike this during boot:

ethernet end-host mode on CA

FC end-host mode on CA

n_port virtualizer mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ln: `/isan/etc/sysmgr.d//fcfwd.conf': File exists

ethernet end-host mode

Extracting VEM images failed (/isan/bin/vem/vem-release.tar.gz)

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3

Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.

Starting NFS kernel daemon:rpc.nfsd.

rpc.mountddone.

Set name-type for VLAN subsystem. Should be visible in /proc/net/vlan/config

Added VLAN with VID == 4042 to IF -:muxif:-

cp: cannot stat `/isan/plugin_img/fex.bin': No such file or directory

I only did erase config. Should I also do erase system config? what is the difference? It seems some 1000V config is still there.

Edit:

I also found this: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15024

I says password must be strong, but I assume for lab/demo use this is not a requirement?

Hi Atle,

What you are seeing are some debug messages and there should be no operational impact on the FI.

in short you can ignoer them. These messages will be cleaned up in a future release (probably a 2.1 version).

./Abhinav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card