Views
Helpful
Replies

adding more memory to blades

Kassim Ismail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there a document or process on upgrading memory on a B200 M2 blade or any UCS blade? Few of our B200 M2 blades currently have 12x4GB (48Gb) & we have purchased 12x8GB (96GB) sticks for each of the blades from Cisco to carry out the upgrade.

Do we need to disassociate the service profile on the blade & then carry out the upgrade or is that not required?

Thanks

Kassim

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kassim,

The best guide is the service guide for the blade:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/chassis/install/blade.html#wp1035141

You should not need to dissassociate the profile from the blade.  Simply shut down your OS, remove the blade, install the memory as per the procedure in a supported configuration, and re-insert the blade.  The blade will do a deep discovery, detect the new memory and your profile will be ready to be booted.

For 96GB (12 x 8GB) there's only one configuration (populating all DIMMs).  Just ensure the vendor of the DIMMs is the same across all DIMMs in a system.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, i thought i ask the question as we already tried the process you describe above without disassociating the service profile & it failed. Even when we tried to disassociate the profile with the 96GB installed, it failed & got stuck in a loop.  We then removed the 96GB reinstalled the 48GB, let it rediscover & then disassociated the service profile.

At that point the service profile correctly disassociated itself from the blade. we then removed the 48GB, plugged in the 96GB, powered on the blade, let it discover & when completed, we reassociate the service profile & it all worked fine.

This was on a chassis running 1.4.3i firmware.

The memory was purchased from Cisco.

Thanks

Kassim

Had to tried to re-ack the blade once the new memory was installed?

Robert

Hi Robert,

no we did not try that.

Kassim

Re-ack after installing additional memory does work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card