cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are Service profiles in UCSM dependent on Blade Hardware? Can we assign same service profile to a B200M2,B230 M2 and a B200M3 Blade?

deepakkrssit
Level 1
Level 1

Are Service profiles in UCSM dependent on Blade Hardware?

Can we assign same service profile to a B200M2,B230 M2 and a B200M3 Blade?

An example: If my B200 M2 crashes because of a Hardware Failure, I replaced the same slot with a B200 M3 Blade.Then is it possible that I disassociate the Service profile from B200M2 and associate the same Service Profile to B200M3?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Deepak,

This is certainly possible.

If there are any problems, due to incompatibilities, it will raise a configuration failure fault, before the service profile is associated to the new blade.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Michael

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Deepak,

This is certainly possible.

If there are any problems, due to incompatibilities, it will raise a configuration failure fault, before the service profile is associated to the new blade.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks Michael for for ur prompt answer.:-)))

mark.simon
Level 1
Level 1

You can move the profile between different hardware but the Operating system may have problems booting if it does not have drivers installed for the new hardware. I ran into this when moving a profile from B200 M2 to B420 M3 and booting Windows 2008 R2. I was able to work around this by following this blog http://jeffsaidso.com/2012/07/painless-hardware-upgrades-with-cisco-ucs/ 

In general, this can be challenging, in addition to what Mark mentions regarding OS dependencies, you should also be aware, that different blade families, e.g. M2 and M3, have different internal PCIe architecture, might support more than one I/O adaptor, have different BIOS settings....I think, Cisco officially doesn't support cross blade family service profile migration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card