Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: FlexPod Training and Demonstration Resources

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Marcos Hernandez

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about FlexPod which is a predesigned, base configuration that is built on the Cisco Unified Computing System (Cisco UCS), Cisco Nexus data center switches, NetApp FAS storage components, and a range of software partners. Marcos Hernandez is a technical solutions architect in the Data Center Solutions Go-to-Market Team, with over 16 years of professional experience and 11 years at Cisco. He currently leads the technical partner enablement efforts for FlexPod, covering Cisco Unified Computing System, Cisco Nexus, and NetApp products. He is also responsible for the technical enablement for cloud and automation solutions for the channel. His responsibilities include training and technical mentoring as well as field awareness and communication.

Remember to use the rating system to let Marcos know if you have received an adequate response. 

Marcos might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Data Center sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 9th, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

21 Replies 21

Hi Marcos,

if I want to establish only FC connection between UCS and NetApp (don't care about NFS and CIFS right now) and want to start from beginning on the storage side, can you write down necessary commands I'll need to type to establish communication with UCS? I know there is some wizard on NetApp side but I would like to know how to do it without any additional tools/features (just like on the Cisco router: I want to know what IOS commands I need to enable particular functionality).

Thanks,

Tenaro

Tenaro,

Do you mean connecting these two systems WITHOUT a Fibre Channel Switch (Nexus 5K/MDS, etc.)?

Marcos

Assuming  that you asked about direct attach storage to UCS, please see  the below Cisco Live presentation covering the details and  caveats/limitations. I can get you specific configuration commands, as  requested. Please confirm.

Marcos

Thanks for doc Marcos,

it is very useful. Still, I was hoping to see something like list of commands that are mandatory on NetApp side, then that one simple command that is necessary to type on MDS switch (or whatever is needed for brand new nexus that is used to connect storage with the UCS); I remember that by default it will not work, some command about zones must be typed first.

For example, if I want to configure brand new NetApp to be used by UCS utilizing FC, I must start setup wizard first, then enter the licenses and finally start "lun setup" wizard; am I missing something for successful FC connection with UCS? For example, do I need to create aggregate and volume before starting lun setup? It will be nice to know what commands are hidden behind the two wizards... Once I have a cookbook with minimal number of commands I'll be able to search for some additional features on my own, it is important that the most basic config is working.

Similarly, for Nexus, what commands are mandatory so that FC connection between UCS and Netapp is working? Is it just about "zoneset activate name myzsname vsan 1" or I need to create myzsname zone before? Do I need to add particular members in the zone?

Thanks,

Tenaro

Tenaro,

I will dig out a document that explains how to set this up. For your reference, it is the original FlexPod/SMT deployment guide which had MDS and an FC component (you may be able ti find it yourself). This forum event closes today, so can you please email me your contact information at marchern@cisco.com so I can send you the doc when I find it?

Thank you very much for your participation!

Marcos

frieaberg
Level 1
Level 1

Great discussion thread, Marcos!

Seems fitting for the last day of this resource thread to highlight something brand new: FlexPod is now on iTunes!  There's a brand new tech specs apps providing mobile info on Cisco UCS, Nexus & NetApp storage.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flexpod-tech-specs/id483258855?ls=1&mt=8

Great post Friea. Go FlexPod!

Marcos

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card