Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B200 M3 with USB

Hi,

Wanted to know how should the boot policy be set for B200 M3 blades which has UCB sticks. Are there any glitches while installing OS? Most of the OS is VMWare ESXi.

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raqhavendra,

I hope the informaiton below helps. Note that if you don't use the Cisco USB supporteed USB the server might not boot properly.

CiscoUSB PID: UCS-USBFLSH-S-4GB

B200M3: ESXi Boot from 4GB USB Drive Support:

1. Install ESXi to 4GB USB Drive.

For this step we used ESXi 5.0during the installation ESXi was able to recognize and install the OS on the USB.

1. In BIOS boot option, set      "Loose" on UCSM boot order rules.

1. In UCSM, set boot policy as CD      first then SAN second put bogus storage WWN on the boot policy setting.

1. The blade will boot from USB      Drive.
  2. It boot up from USB after      reboot the blade.

Notice the Actual Boot Order after the reboot.

1. It boot up from USB after      disassociation/association.
  2. VMs are installed on remote      shared LUN. VMs are able power up and power down on VC after blade boot up      from USB.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raqhavendra,

I hope the informaiton below helps. Note that if you don't use the Cisco USB supporteed USB the server might not boot properly.

CiscoUSB PID: UCS-USBFLSH-S-4GB

B200M3: ESXi Boot from 4GB USB Drive Support:

1. Install ESXi to 4GB USB Drive.

For this step we used ESXi 5.0during the installation ESXi was able to recognize and install the OS on the USB.

1. In BIOS boot option, set      "Loose" on UCSM boot order rules.

1. In UCSM, set boot policy as CD      first then SAN second put bogus storage WWN on the boot policy setting.

1. The blade will boot from USB      Drive.
  2. It boot up from USB after      reboot the blade.

Notice the Actual Boot Order after the reboot.

1. It boot up from USB after      disassociation/association.
  2. VMs are installed on remote      shared LUN. VMs are able power up and power down on VC after blade boot up      from USB.

Manuel,

Thanks a lot for quick response. This is really helpful, I haven't tried installing the OS, but when I do I will surely let you know.

One last question - Do we have to install any drivers during the OS install and is there any specific policy I need to set for UCB boot? (Like in BIOS, Advance settings)

Thanks again!

If you use the cisco custom image these drivers should already be inlcuded in the installation iso.

Do you know what version of ESXi are you plannin to install?

Sure, Thank you.

Most probably it will be ESXi 5.1 U1a.

I only see the cisco custom image for esxi 5.1 I don't see the 5.1 u1, but you can download the drivers from the cisco site. I copied the both of these links in case you need them.

Cisco Custom Image for ESXi 5.1.0 GA Install CD

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=CISCO-ESXI-5.1.0-GA-25SEP2012&productId=285

Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server Software (here you can download the drivers)

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283853163&softwareid=283853158&release=2.1%281g%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thank a ton!!

Best Regards,

in newer ucs releases we now have option to select 'internal usb' as a boot option in boot policy, so no more need for fake vhba/wwpn

pramrama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please let me know how I can change the "UCSM boot order rules" to Loose? In my setup I have it set to "Strict" and the option is greyed/disabled.

I have checked the boot/BIOS policies in use and don't see any option that I use to alter the value.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Pramod

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card