Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance blade servers with service profile template

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to UCS and would like to know how to balance the placement of servers across multiple B-series chassis using a service profile template.  I'm experimenting in the UCS platform emulator and I've built a server pool that includes a total of 8 B230-M2 servers - 4 in chassis 1 and 4 in chassis 2.  When I build a service profile template and use the template to create multiple servers it builds all the servers on the same chassis instead of spreading them evenly over multiple chassis.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to define a policy that says split the server instances evenly using blades spread out across multiple chassis.  This sounds like it would be fairly easy to do, I just haven't found it yet.  Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-MN

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Balance blade servers with service profile template

There is no automated control or policy to balance the deployed service profiles across different chassis. 

One idea is to divide the blades from each Chassis to server pools.  Then associating your templates with the corresponding server pool.

Ex.

Say you have 2 Chassis with 4 blades in each.

You could create "Server Pool 1" and add all blades in Slot 1 & 2 from each chassis to it.  "Server Pool 2" and add all blades in Slots 3 & 4.  Then you would need to create 2 different service profile templates each utilizing a different server pool. 

Another is to just deploy the templates and manually set the target blade.  This requires much less overhead for a deployment with two chassis.

I'm going to open an Enhancement request for this.  As the 6100's support up to 40 Chassis, I would agree load balancing the deploying would make sense.  With the 6296 Fabric Interconnect, the scale increase will make this even more relevant.

Regards,

Robert

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content