cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practices for Upgrade UCS firmware from 2.0 to 2.2?

phamcongtuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have Cisco UCS system ( 2 FI, 4 Chassis with 32 Server ) running 2.0 firmware. Now I want upgrade to 2.2. When I check document "Upgrading Cisco UCS from Release 2.0 to Release 2.2", I see have 2 solution:

- 1. Upgrading from Release 2.0 with Auto Install -> Step simple but all server reboot at same time.

- 2. Manually Upgrading from Release 2.0. -> Step more complex but can upgrade server one by one.

My question:

- Can I "Upgrade the infrastructure firmware with Auto Intall but upgrade Server with Manual"?

- What is best for my case?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Phamcongtuan,

Infrastructure and server firmware upgrade is separate so you can upgrade your infrastructure first (UCSM, IOM, Fabric interconnects) and later you can apply a host firmware package to the service profile to upgrade one server at a time.

See screenshot below

autoinstall.PNG

Let me know if you have any other question, and don't forget to rate any useful posts

Hi Manuel Velasco

Thanks for your support. Can you clear step about "later you can apply a host firmware package to the service profile to upgrade one server at a time". Did you mean:

-1. Upgrade UCS Manager Software

-2. Upgrade Infrastructure Firmware & IOM ( by “Firmware Auto Install”)

-3. Upgrade Server ( by Manual with create host firmware package to service profile)

Thanks

Hi Phamcongtuan,

In UCS you can create host firmware policy that can be used to upgrade the firmware of your blades.  Once you upgrade the infrastructure firmware, you can apply the host firmware policy to the service profiles of your blades.  If you are using service profiles templates you will need to unbind the service profiles and apply the policy to the individual servers.

Host Firmware Package

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/firmware-mgmt/cli/2-2/b_CLI_Firmware_Management_22/b_CLI_Firmware_Management_22_chapter_01000.html#concept_6982A188474A452CBFDBBDD7DD4921F3

Hi Manuel

I'm still have considerate . Why on document "Upgrading Cisco UCS from Release 2.0 to Release 2.2", cisco don't

mentioned about that. Only have Auto Intall all or Manual All. Do you have have experience about this case.

Thanks you so much

Hi phamcongtuan,

did you manage to successfully upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2 ?

Which method did you use?

Thanks

Manuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card