cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blade not boot after firmware upgrade to 2.2(2c)

hbrkanic
Level 1
Level 1

B200M3 blade with Windows 2012R2 installed does not boot OS after firmware upgrade to 2.2(2c). UCSM shows no HW errors. Upgrade install passed smoothly.

Try to power cycle, recover CMOS, but nothing changes. It boot in BIOS, no messages in console.

16 Replies 16

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How is you blade booting (local, SAN)?

Is this happening to all of your blades or only one?

Did you just upgrade the UCSM or also the blade components?

If you open the KVM what do you see on the screen?

All blades adrre booting from local disk.

Happens on two blades with Win2012R2, three blade with Win2012 installed booted OK. I stopped updated firmware on blades with 2012R2 after second blade failed.

KVM - after testing it blade just enters BIOS.

Have tried to decommission and re-ack the blade?  If the blade keeps going into bios it looks like the blade is not able to see the correct boot order.

Decommission & reack blade, but no changes. Still got only BIOS

Can you show us a screenshot of the installed software for all the UCS components.

Or a much better approach: the compliance check result (in the firmware management section of UCSM)

1) select eg. the 2.2.1 infrastructure bundle, and then click on the green button in the window on the right edge

2) repeat 1) for the 2.2.1 server bundle

Servers with problem are 1/6 and 2/6. Three that are green (beside 1/6 i 2/6) are with Windows Server 2012 operating system.
The other 7 are in pending boot, all of them Windows Server 2012R2 and I could not go further with restart after these two failures.

So the infrastructure and all the components of this failing blades (BIOS, CIMC,..) are compliant and ok.

Did you check configured and actual boot policy ? are you really seeing the boot lun or not ?

Do the working blades boot from the same disksubsystem, over the same SAN ?

Can you try to swap: associating the SP to the blade which is working and vice versa ?

Actual boot policy looks fine. All servers boot from local disk (two disks in RAID1), not from SAN.

At this moment I cannot swap SP. Any other ideas?

I'm confused ! in an earlier entry you say the all boot from SAN ? now you say from local disk ?

Did you upgrade the server with a Host Firmware Package ?

Maybe an issue with the Raid Controller ?

Did you check that there is a virtual disk available (Raid-1), that is configured as boot device ?

My mistake in earlier post - sorry. All blades are booting from local disk.

We update using Host Firmware Package.

Raid Controller & virtual disk were checked using UCSM-Equipment-Inventory-storage, and we noticed that operational consistency check on virtual disk is "in progress" started 20in ago on one server & on saturday on second one.

Can you make sure that in your boot policy you select legacy CD/DVD and not Local CD/DVD?  I would recommend to create a new Boot Policy and assigned to these two servers, please see attached screenshots.

Can you also send us a screenshot of the overall status of these two service profiles? see attached "overallStatus" screenshot below.

Let me know if this helps

I tried to change boot policy from UEFI to legacy but nothing changed. OverallStatuss is same as in your screenshot - everything is green

Do you have "local CD/DVD" or just "CD/DVD"?  If you have "local CD/DVD" try to use CD/DVD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card