Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Boot Lun size for W2012 installation

Is there a rule how big a boot lun must be for a W2012 server installation; server memory size, e.g. 64GB / 128GB / 256 GB / 512 GB

I have seen, that for a 512 GB size, a boot lun of 60GB is by far not enough.            

5 REPLIES
Community Member

I am onsite at customer site this week while coaching their team in deploying both 2008 and 2012 servers bare metal on a handful of blades (B200 M3's) and we are running into this each time.   Using EMC VNX for boot from SAN both OS's is throwing the error up requiring 150GB LUN to install or 147xxx to be specific.  Each server getting exact same 147xxx also.    I walked thru two at front of class room per the customer because of this and while I also saw it when presented a 40GB LUN I ignored the error by hitting "Next" and it still allowed the installation.   They claim only one of all the others rejected the next button and actually required them to size the LUN up to 150GB, but I didn't see that and highly doubt it since its the ONLY one I didn't see, and all others did install altough the error was present.  Not sure why, I installed the Chip set drivers, cisco network, cisco storage, and LSI storage during those installations just to be safe, yet I saw my LUN on all paths available after just installing the cisco storage fnic driver, with one active path.  So not sure if MPIO plays into a part of that or not.

We found the following

Boot Lun 40GB, Server with 32 GB Memory => Installation complains, but works ok

Boot Lun 40GB, Server with 128 GB Memory => Installation complains and doesn't work  !!!!

See also

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13383.best-practices-for-page-file-and-minimum-drive-size-for-os-partition-on-windows-servers.aspx

Community Member

Not true, I have 2 B200 M3 blades in front of me, one with 128GB, other with 256MB.  using 40GB LUN I get error, but clicking next it installs fine to 40GB LUN.   Ensure when you unmount the drivers ISO, check the box to mount the WIN2012 Install CD/DVD ISO again, THEN CLICK REFRESH BEFORE moving on.  This is when you should see LUN go from "unable to install" to it needs to be 150GB, ignore that and click next and it should continue to install.

Same scenario was done here yesterday with 22 remaining blades and consistent across the board for both 2008 and 2012 r2 builds.

Very confused ! since when can you bypass an error message "unable to install...."

I don't have the error message at hand, which say's that the boot lun has to have size xxxx; eventually this can be bypassed.

Btw. there are solutions to avoid this, e.g. unattended install....with reduced size pagefile upfront.

Community Member

Wont argue, taking time with customer I dont have to try and help you.  Typically when the "Unable to install" message is up there its because the MS Installation CD is not currently mapped in the Virtual Media due to the Drivers CD being mapped.    Map the drivers CD, install drivers for Storage->Cisco since we're using the VIC cards and booting from SAN.  Once the fnic driver is installed I can see the LUN but it says cannot install to it.   At this time I typically add a few more drivers to save time, like network for cisco, storage for LSI as well as chip set but you dont have to.   With the error showing you go to virtual media, uncheck the map driver.iso file, check the box to map the MS installation cd/dvd again.  Returning to the server installation the error still shows.   At this time I now click refresh below the list of drives and once that refresh has completed the error is gone but a new one shows stating the LUN is too small and needs to be increased to 150GB.   This size is because of page file required due to our memory amount, this will change based upon your memory for the blade, per microsofts documented amounts.   However we still wanted 40GB for the bootable LUN so we clicked "Next" despite the error and it continues and starts the installation.    This is our experiance, and at this customer site I have now done 22 servers this week, some 2008 and some are 2012 and all of them reacted the same, which is consistent with my past installs.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content