Views
Helpful
Replies

bundle the uplink ports on FI ?

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Can i "bundle" two uplink ports into an Etherchannel and then statically pin the server ports to the "bundle" (portchannel) and not the individual links ?

regards,

Geert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Geert,

Yes, you absolutely can uplink the FI with a port-channel to VSS or vPC.

See this for a visual of this design:

http://www.internetworkexpert.org/2009/07/05/cisco-ucs-vmware-vswitch-design-cisco-10ge-virtual-adapter/

I think Mike Frase was referring to how the IOM (I/O Module) inside the blade enclosure uplinks to the FI -- and he is correct that port channel is not currently an option for those links.

Cheers,

Brad

p.s. Please rate if helpful

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mfrase
Level 1
Level 1

The port-channel concept is not used in the 6100 to I/O mod connection. The High availability architecture of the connections from mezz cards to the network are pinned to provide best configuration and load balance for link failures

Then i have a problem connecting the FI to a VSS system: it means a single FI can't be dual-connected to VSS switches and traffic will be forced across the VSL link.

Geert,

Yes, you absolutely can uplink the FI with a port-channel to VSS or vPC.

See this for a visual of this design:

http://www.internetworkexpert.org/2009/07/05/cisco-ucs-vmware-vswitch-design-cisco-10ge-virtual-adapter/

I think Mike Frase was referring to how the IOM (I/O Module) inside the blade enclosure uplinks to the FI -- and he is correct that port channel is not currently an option for those links.

Cheers,

Brad

p.s. Please rate if helpful

I did mention an "uplink" port. A FI-IO link is a downstream link or server/host port.

Many thanks for the link. very interesting esx design btw (altough it uses the palo nic which will not be available at fcs, the same for the full-width servers). this is a pitty because i am forced into an esx design with 2 nics only....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card