Views
Helpful
Replies

C-220M3 RAID controller

dani_bosch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Cisco people has told me C-220M3 has to mandatory bring a RAID controller in it if you configure one HDD...actually Dynamic Configuration Tool doesn't let me configure a C220M3 server with one HDD if I don't add a RAID controller. I'm trying to find a technical explanation for that...as I recall, the old C-200M2 can be configured with one HDD and without any RAID controller at all, and that doesn't pose any problems.

Any inputs on that?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dani,

You need something on the server to interact with the hard drives and one of the above storage controllers provides an interface for the server (motherboard) to interact with the hard drives.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dani,

the C200 server has a in-build RAID controller which you could use. However on a C220 there are no similar integrated modules available and you need to choose either a mezz or a PCI (LSI) RAID controller for RAID configuration.

here is the chapter from the configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/raid.html

Thanks!

./abhinav

Abhinav, actually I do NOT need any RAID config, as I have only ONE HDD...that's why (unless I'm wrong) I do NOT need any RAID controller at all...so, am I still forced to choose a RAID controller?? Why??

Hi Dani,

You need something on the server to interact with the hard drives and one of the above storage controllers provides an interface for the server (motherboard) to interact with the hard drives.

./Abhinav

Ok thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card