cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2200 Server with LSI Megaraid Software RAID and VMware

laurencechiu7
Level 1
Level 1

We currently run a few C220 servers using the LSI Megaraid software raid controller to create a number of Raid 10 arrays.

I am pretty sure we had nor did not order any PCIe or Mezzanine RAID cards so we must be using the embedded Megaraid software controller.

I am looking to virtualise the servers but it seems according to this link that no Hypervisor (VMware or Hyper-V) supports this RAID controller.

Does that mean if I were to use the existing RAID configuration and try to install VMWare it would fail to find the drives?

Windows 2012R2 seems to find the drives as that's how we installed the OS. Now if I create Hyper-V VM's in the current 2012R2 installation, does that mean without RAID support, I could not create any VHDX's on any of the disk volumes that have been RAIDed that could be seen by the new VM?

Am I forced to buy PCIe or Mezzanine RAID cards and redo the RAID completely?

Thanks

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Yes you need to get a PCI or Mezzanine raid controller if you are planning to install any of the hypervisor OS.  If you try the installation, the installation won't see the volume not only that assuming that you manage to install the OS and you run into any problems you won't be a get support from cisco, with an unsupported configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card