cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I connect Server (apart from Cisco) to Fabric Interconnect ?

Amit Vyas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question. I want to connect any other server apart from cisco to connect directly on Fabri Interconnect.

Is there any way I can achive this?

-Amit

7 Replies 7

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Amit,

No, we cannot directly connect any rack server to UCS FI in end host mode.

In future release, we might support connecting a UCS rack server directly to FI

Padma

Thanks for your reply Padma

Just want to understand why we cannot connect any server direcly to FI and you mean UCS Rack server (C-Series Server) ? if yes, i guess it's already supports or you can correct me if my understanding is wrong

-Amit

Hello Amit,

Currently, we can connect / manage UCS rack servers ( C series ) to FI via Fabric Extender. In future, we might allow rack server to directly connected to FI.

FI in end host mode is not regular LAN / SAN switch  and it is part of system. So, we cannot directly connect rack servers to it.

I have to check if it is allowed when FI is operating in switch mode.

Padma

Okay.. Understood

Last thing.. I hope there will be a posibility in future that we can add / manager other make servers also. i.e. HP, Dell, IBM or Sun

-Amit

Hello Amit,

You may connect any server in the FI and have normal traffic flow (not management them), just configure a port as appliance port.

I don't think the UCS will support others vendors in UCSM, the plataform is completly different. Optionally you can use UCS Director to do that.

Regards.

Richard

Thanks Richard

Helpful information you have given. I will try that in my environment by configuring Appliance port

-Amit

Hi Sir,

Do we have any official document on this as this is exactly what I am looking at. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card