Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I disable the B200 blade Fibre Channel vHBA's

Mal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am configuring my service profiles for my B200 blades and was wondering if there was a way to disable the Fibre Channel HBA's. I will not be using FC as all my storage is iSCSI.

Thanks

Mal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you create a service profile, you are asked if you want storage (=FC) or not; you say no !

if you missed this step, and you created vhba's, just delete them afterwards.

It is not possible to disable vhna's.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you create a service profile, you are asked if you want storage (=FC) or not; you say no !

if you missed this step, and you created vhba's, just delete them afterwards.

It is not possible to disable vhna's.

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I am running version 2.1(3a), but will be upgrading it before it goes into production.

I was unable to delete the vHBA from the Service Profile or Service Profile Template, but when I created a new Service Profile Template and said NO to vHBS's, I no longer had an issue.

Many Thanks

Mal

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mal,

Disabling the individual interfaces is possible but only if you UCS environment is running the latest firmware version 2.2(3).

What firmware is your UCS running?

my comment:

1) if he doesn't require FC, don't configure it in the service profile !

2) can you please give us a pointer, where disabling a vhba in 2.2.3 is documented. I checked

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2_chapter_01.html

Table 3 New Features and Changed Behavior in Cisco UCS, Release 2.2(3)

and can't find it.

Hi Wdey,

It looks like this feature was added starting 2.2. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the documentation but you can take a look at the attached screenshot to see where you can disable the interfaces.

Thanks !

Do you have an idea of the difference between

enable / enable - active / enable - passive

Enable - This will enable both the active and passive hba in this case

Enable-Active - Will only enable the active hba

Enable-passive -  Will only enable the passive interface.   

At this point I am not sure what is the difference between the active and passive, looks to me there is no difference.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card