cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the Cisco UCS 6120XP direct attach the EMC CX4-120 by fibre protocol ?

henry_liu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have two question for Cisco UCS

Q1: Can the Cisco UCS 6120XP direct attach the EMC CX4-120 by fibre protocol ?

Q2: I know the UCS 61XX Series support the Cisco SAN Switch(MDS).But we are only Brocade san switch ,

so  UCS 61XX Series supoort Brocade san switch ?

Thanks , I really want to know the information .

9 Replies 9

Hi Henry,

A1 - No you can't. Fabric Interconnects run in NPV mode and are not able to do Fabric Logins

A2 - Yes you can connect your 6120 (Fabric Interconnects) to a Brocade Switch.

Cheers

Nuno Ferreira

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Q1: The 6120s run in NPV (N_Port Virtualization) mode which means it acts as a proxy for the blade vHBAs and doesn't participate in flogi (fabric logins). When a fabric switch runs in this mode it requires an uplink to a faber switch for flogi and zoning. Due to this you cannot direct attach the the 6120 to an array's front-end fiber ports.

Q2: Yes you can uplink the 6120 to a Brocade fabric as long as the Brocade supports NPIV.

Hi Sirs

Thanks your explain about the two question,i am very clean.

If i buy the Cisco UCS 6140XP , can it direct attach the EMC CX4-120 by fibre protocol ?

Thanks

No you can't

As explained above (hence I called it Fabric Interconnect. Fabric Interconnect is any 61xx switch)

Nuno Ferreira

Ok,i understand.

I have the last question .

1.Will plan support the Cisco UCS 61XX-XP direct attach the EMC CX4-120 in the future ?

2. If yes,What time will release ?

Thanks all update.

No. According to Cisco there is no plan to have the FICs (61xx) running in full FC Switch mode (and therefore be able to do fabric logins)

Nuno Ferreira

Hi

In the next release slated for Fall 2010 timeframe (1.4 code most likely) connecting a FC storage array directly to a 61xx will be possible.

--Manish

Hi Manish,

Is it firm that 6120XP will soon support a SAN directly connected? This is quite critical to a design which we are now doing. Is it XC for 1.4? Thanks.

-benjamin

Benjamin

Yes, its a committed feature. I cannot comment on the timelines as the release date has not been confirmed depending on engineering schedule.

I would recommend contacting your account team who can provide accurate timelines after confirming with the product management team.

Thanks

--Manish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card