cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot install Windows 2008 on a Netapp LUN

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

The blade is using the M81KR adapter. The LUN appears during boot. I boot up using a virtualDVD-ROM with Win 2008 iso-image. I then unmap the ISO and map the UCS drivers for M81KR for Windows 2008. Then it says the LUN is offline and it let's me online it. But then it still says it is unavailable for install. The message is attached. What am I doing wrong? Using UCM 2.0(1m).

25 Replies 25

Unfortunately, it still does not work. The local disks do not appear, but the partitions for the sanlun cannot be set online. See picture. So now I will try creating a new fresh lun and see if that helps.

Just to make it absolutely sure: I am using the WWPN for the Netapp filer. I see that it says "WWN" under boot order.

This is output from the Netapp filer:

1b:   ONLINE   PTP  Fabric

host address 110001

portname 50:0a:09:82:9d:64:a1:29  nodename 50:0a:09:80:8d:64:a1:29

mediatype auto speed auto

0c:   ONLINE   PTP  Fabric

host address c10001

portname 50:0a:09:83:9d:64:a1:29  nodename 50:0a:09:80:8d:64:a1:29

mediatype auto speed auto

ucsna02m>

I created a new LUN. This time I could make the new unallocated space online, but I got the error this started with: no BIOS support. See picture.

Atle,

When you boot the server, from the KVM go into the BIOS options "F2", go to Boot Options and disable the "EFI" boot option.  Save the settings and then attempt to install Windows.  Let us know the results.

Robert

Hi Robert,

There is no EFI option there...

Boot Option #6 - Disable it.

Sure? Then I cannot boot from Windows ISO-image? I will try and see

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

No luck after disabling it. See picture:

I disabled all boot options regarding EFI also. Message was edited by: Atle Dale

Hi Atle,    

I also faced the issue with HDS USP storage. But I resolved, I will share the steps followed.

• Check the Boot Order, weather the correct WWPN of Netapp storage controller port there in the SAN Target.
  • While restarting if it saying BIOS not installed, press Ctrl+H to enable in BIOS
  • Press F6 and see weather the WWPN of Netapp is detected.
  • If all the above are fine means, after u map the driver iso. when the LUN visible, First Delete that LUN and Parttion and then Format it. Again map Windows iso and check

Hope this will resolve your problem.

Regards

Boomi

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, it is finally working, and I didn't have to try the last suggestion. I believe it was fixed by disabling all EFI boot options. I ignored the error in my post on 14 Feb and created a partition and instaleld on that partition without problems. Now it boots up from Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise. Thanks everybody!

Another suggestion for those having this problem :

When I ran into this issue it was because I was loading a slightly newer version of the UCS storage driver than what the blade was running.   Once I matched the driver up, my issues disappeared.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card