cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Chassis power error and time

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

major,F0408,117295,sys/chassis-1/fault-F0408,power-problem,2012-08-08T13:45:12,Power   state on chassis 1 is redundancy-failed

what does this mean? Both the power cables are connected, and they have status "Operable" in Chassis Power GUI.

Other than that, no faults.

Is it possible to set the time without using NTP? Do I have to set time from NX-OS command-line?

9 Replies 9

We have the same issue.

Cisco support found out that it is an "i2c bus issue" between IOMs, PSUs and fans. The fix is to reseat all PSUs (keep them out for a minute, one after each other with enough time to come up again) and also to reseat the IOMs. The time here is seven minutes until the IOMs are back in operation. The entire process should be non-disruptive but a maintenance window is recommened.

We have not applied the fix yet but I will keep you posted.

Hello Atle,

As Robert suggested, fault looks like cosmetic one due to I2C issues. Please open a TAC service request to further investigate it.

Regarding time configuration, you can manually configure it without the need of NTP server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/cli/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_CLI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_0100000.html#task_7D02AB9BD9F441568C782408B87F3FAA

Padma

David Alpizar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Atle,

I have seen that kind of issues here and there is something you can try in order to correct this problem:

A workaround to clear the I2C faults is to reseat fan trays, PSUs, and IOMs. Here is how to do it:

1.            Reseat the fans from fan 1 to fan 8.

2.            Reseat the PSUs from PSU 1 to PSU 4.

Pull the components out one at a time from 1 to the last, leave it out for at least 3 minutes before reinsert it back, observe the light to make sure all return to green before pulling the next one.

3.            If the above does not work, pull out the IOM that is

flashing amber. Leave it out for 5 minutes and reinsert. Make sure

everything comes up and the lights turn green.

4.            Monitor the system while reseating components by issuing

# show tech-support chassis 1 iom 1 brief

5.            May have to reseat the second IOM if amber lights shifted.

6.            If reseating the IOM does not solve the problem, we may

need to reacknowledge the chassis. This is disruptive to network

connections of the blades. You need a set a downtime to do it.

7.            Repeat these steps on all chassis that are having amber lights.

I strongly recommend you upgrade the firmware to 1.4(3q) and above when

you are able to set a downtime. The errors will need to be clear before

the upgrade. Otherwise the message may remain until you reseat the

components.

This is just a cosmetic issue on the UCS environment.

Hope this helps!

David

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

I no got similar errors. I have 2 serverports configured and the chassis discovery policy is set at 2.

ack="no"

cause="unexpected-number-of-links"

changeSet=""

code="F0440"

created="2012-08-08T15:33:08"

descr="Chassis discovery policy conflict: Link IOM 1/1/1 to fabric interconnect A:1/19 not configured"

dn="sys/chassis-1/slot-1/fabric/port-1/fault-F0440"

highestSeverity="info"

id="117166"

lastTransition="2012-08-09T13:19:56"

lc=""

occur="6"

origSeverity="info"

prevSeverity="cleared"

rule="ether-switch-intfio-satellite-wiring-numbers-unexpected"

severity="info"

status="created"

tags="network"

type="connectivity">

Hi Atle ,

I did some research about this error and you can try the following:

- Make sure that number of  present IOM uplinks are at least same as that defined in chassis  discovery policy link-action. Configure corresponding sever ports.

- Re-acknowledge the chassis to acknowledge the mismatched number of present links.

You can SSH the server and check the alerts using the following commands:

UCS-A# scope chassis X
UCS-A /chassis # show fault

Hope this help.

David

the numbe rof links error is gone. But the original error is still there. I just reseated the two poer supplies. I guess I have to reseat IO momdules now.

this is my status concerning thir error:

FI6120XP-A /chassis # show fault

Severity  Code     Last Transition Time     ID       Description

--------- -------- ------------------------ -------- -----------

Cleared   F0528    2012-08-09T16:39:57.618    150705 Power supply 2 in chassis 1 power: off

Cleared   F0378    2012-08-09T16:39:43.064    150704 Power supply 2 in chassis 1 presence: missing

Cleared   F0378    2012-08-09T16:36:24.057    150702 Power supply 1 in chassis 1 presence: missing

Warning   F0378    2012-08-08T15:45:12.955    117296 Power supply 3 in chassis 1 presence: missing

Warning   F0378    2012-08-08T15:45:12.955    117297 Power supply 4 in chassis 1 presence: missing

Major     F0408    2012-08-08T15:45:12.954    117295 Power state on chassis 1 is redundancy-failed

So it is still there. I will now reseat the IOMs.

Atle ,

I can see that the link error is cleared now.

Now, talking about the power supply issue, try to reseat the IOMs. The alerts should be gone, but if they are still there you can open a TAC case.

You can have a faulty power supply on the chassis.

David

yes, reseating IOMS did not help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card