Views
Helpful
Replies

CIMC

K P SIM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Folks:

Just need someone to answer the following confusion about CIMC setup for C-Series Rack-Mount Server?

Can I connect our notebook STRAIGHT to the C460's network port, say M1 or M2 (10/100 Management Port) via s cross cable with the initial CIMC IP as say 192.168.1.1 and my notebook's IP as 192.168.1.2? Can we use private IP first? Then at later stage, customer will install the actual routeable Production IP.

Customer DOES NOT provide any Prod IP yet. Assuming I also install OS onto the hard drive, I assign another private IP 192.168.1.3 to 1 of the NIC. In this case, can I launch a browser with the CIMC IP as the url from within the installed OS? Will it work? Or I have to launch it from my notebook???

What is the recommended network ports to use for CIMC physical connection? The 2 1GB LOM OR the 2 10/100 Managemenet Ports M1 and M2 below or something else?

If I INSTALL a bare-metal OS onto the hard drives, HOW MANY network adapters/ports WILL I SEE as C460 has 8 network ports, I believe-2 10G SFP+, 2 10G-BASE-T, 2 1 GB-LOM and 2 10/100 Management Ports? Very, very confusing. Which NIC come as DEFAULT???

Can someone EXPLAIN in detail what is the pros and cons of NIC Mode in the CIMC setup screen and what is the recommendations for network redundancy?

Built In     Redundancy   Physical Connectivity (to 2 switches)

Dedicated                        ?                             

Shipping                        ?

(Shared LOM) Default     Y

Shared LOM 10G             ?

Cisco                              ?

Should DHCP be enabled on C460 assuming it is STILL not plugged into the Prod LAN yet? If yes, what is the IP addresses I will see and How many? I DO NOT see any sticker or label anywhere on the casing? Is there any default?

If I enable DHCP and plug C460 into a Production LAN, how can I ensure that I will be getting the SAME CIMC IP address everytime I connect to it since it is DHCP-provided IP EXCEPT that we reset/reboot the C460 and note the DHCP-provided IP during boot up?

Unless we change the LEASE PERIOD to a much longer time? Any suggestion?

Can we install OS straight WITHOUT using CIMC GUI? Or is it recommended?

Thanks.

SiM

7 Replies 7

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SIM,

Answers inline

Regards,

Robert

Can I connect our notebook STRAIGHT to the C460's network port, say M1 or M2 (10/100 Management Port) via s cross cable with the initial CIMC IP as say 192.168.1.1 and my notebook's IP as 192.168.1.2? Can we use private IP first? Then at later stage, customer will install the actual routeable Production IP.

[Robert] - Yes.  Assuming the NIC mode is set to "dedicated"

Customer DOES NOT provide any Prod IP yet. Assuming I also install OS onto the hard drive, I assign another private IP 192.168.1.3 to 1 of the NIC. In this case, can I launch a browser with the CIMC IP as the url from within the installed OS? Will it work? Or I have to launch it from my notebook???

[Robert] - Yes.  Assuming the NIC mode is set to "dedicated"

What is the recommended network ports to use for CIMC physical connection? The 2 1GB LOM OR the 2 10/100 Managemenet Ports M1 and M2 below or something else?

[Robert] - Dedicated mode using the two CIMC interfaces, unless you're strapped for available ports on your switches.

If I INSTALL a bare-metal OS onto the hard drives, HOW MANY network adapters/ports WILL I SEE as C460 has 8 network ports, I believe-2 10G SFP+, 2 10G-BASE-T, 2 1 GB-LOM and 2 10/100 Management Ports? Very, very confusing. Which NIC come as DEFAULT???

[Robert] You should see all network ports except the "M" Management interfaces.  You may need to load the appropriate OS-speicifc driver from the C-Series drivers CD before they are detected by the OS.

Can someone EXPLAIN in detail what is the pros and cons of NIC Mode in the CIMC setup screen and what is the recommendations for network redundancy?

[Robert]

Network Modes:          

Dedicated - uses the "dedicated" M1 and M2 management interfaces for CIMC access. Single management IP configured, both ports can respond to the management IP.

Shipping  - Management Port is assigned a static IP of 10.1.1.7.  Management Port 2 is configured for DHCP.

Shared LOM  - Assigns the CIMC management IP to the 1G LOM interfaces. Single management IP is configured, both ports can respond to the management IP.

Shared LOM 10G - Assigns/Shares the CIMC management IP to the 10G LOM interfaces.  Single management IP is configured, both ports can respond to the management IP.

Cisco  - Used with the P81E Virtual Interface Card (VIC).  This is not currently used, but is for future UCSM integration.

Redundancy:

Dedicated = Port Failover or Teamed Ports

Shared LOM = Port Failover or Teamed Ports

As for preferences, it comes down to do you want your management traffic sharing the same physical interfaces (likely separate by VLAN only) as your data traffic?  Most customers opt for the dedicated mode for management which connects to a separate Management network.

Should DHCP be enabled on C460 assuming it is STILL not plugged into the Prod LAN yet? If yes, what is the IP addresses I will see and How many? I DO NOT see any sticker or label anywhere on the casing? Is there any default?

[Robert] See "shipping" settings which assign a static and DHCP to particular interfaces. Detailed above.

If I enable DHCP and plug C460 into a Production LAN, how can I ensure that I will be getting the SAME CIMC IP address everytime I connect to it since it is DHCP-provided IP EXCEPT that we reset/reboot the C460 and note the DHCP-provided IP during boot up?

[Robert] To avoid any default IP address conflicts, either setup the CIMC with a unique static IP using the console, or locally connected cross-over connection, or use one fo the pre-configured DHCP ports.

Unless we change the LEASE PERIOD to a much longer time? Any suggestion?

[Robert] - Seven days is usually standard, however for management best practice states to use static IPs.

Can we install OS straight WITHOUT using CIMC GUI? Or is it recommended?

[Robert] - Sure.  You just need a keyboard, monitor, mouse.  You can load the installation CD/DVD and do it via console.  This requires local access to the server, which is not always possible.  CIMC & KVM with virtual media let you plug it in, set it up and manage it remotely from then on.

With the C460 only 2 of the 4 10G ports will be active. You have to choose between the SFP based or the Base-T ports. You can't use both at the same time.

louis

Robert/lwatta:

If I were NOT wrong, I ONLY see 4 NIC, etho, eth1, eth2 & eth3 once I INSTALLED the Linux O/S. I DID NOT take the EXTRA STEP to install the relevant drivers. Just plain OLD vanilla SuSe Linux Enterprise Server SP1.

How can I get the mapping correct?

Example:

M1 maps to which NIC-eth0, eth1, eth2 or eth3?

M2 maps to which NIC?

Which other ports can be seen if M1 and M2 are not seen by O/S as mentioned by you above?

I think I PLUGGED into M1 port and is able to configure NIC eth0 with a static IP which is CONTRARY to what you had mentioned i.e. M1 and M2 ports can not be seen by O/S-PLEASE HELP TO VERIFY!!!

I am talking about SuSe Linux here. Still very confused!

Thank a trillion!

SiM

The only ports that would be visible to the OS are

2 x 1G LOM ports

2 x 10G ports (SPF or Copper but not both - there are four total ports on the 10G adaptor.)

M1 and M2 are not visible to the OS.

Configure an IP on the various ethx, enable them, and then use ifconfig while unplugging one at a time to determine what the mapping is.  The other way is to track the MAC address on the upstream switch to determine which ethX interface is which.

Robert

Robert:

let me try and get back. It is ALWAYS GLAD to know that someone likes you is always available when we are in doubts.

Appreciate it!

Take care, dude!

SiM

Robert Guru:

I am using C460M2 and I am using the 2 ports BELOW the X 2 1G LOM. Have NOT been able to browse to http://CIMC IP and have the following questions:

Must I have 2 physical cable connections to configure CIMC correctly SINCE the Redundancy Mde's options is?

I am using a FIXED IP and I am using Port M1, the port to the LEFT and I have TRIED i) and ii).

The end result is I STILL CAN NOT ACCESS the CIMC GUI

i)Active-Active

ii)Active-Passive

iii)None

What is the port speed of the port I am using? In the O/S, I saw it as 1GB, but from what I read, the port should be either 10/100 or I am WRONG?

I was TRYING to use the SAME IP which I have assigned for my O/S, a Linux box? IS IT OK or NOT? FYI, that IP is a routeable IP.

What EXACTLY is the correct way to configure the CIMC correctly as I DID NOT SEEM to be able to get it working?

Ignore the 4 10G ports as I DO NOT have the right transceivers.

That LEFT me with 4 ports-2 1GB LOM at the TOP and 2 Management Ports BELOW these 2 1G LOM.

I was told that to use Dedicated for NIC Mode, then I will put in the Routeable IP, NetMask and Gateway with a SINGLE Physical Connection from Port M1, I PRESUME, to a switch/router, etc.

Something apparently VERY SIMPLE but when I worked on it, IT IS GETTING nowhere.

Please help, Robert and others.

Thank a Trillion.

SiM

Robert:

Attached is the port I used to configure CIMC:

NIC Mode

Dedicated

Redundancy

Active-Standby - Try Active-Active DID NOT work either

Port Used

M1 as in the attachment - I have 1 IP only and I have ONLY 1 Physical Cable Connection.

I configured IP, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway as in the CIMC Screen.

I have PLUGGED into all 4 ports and none is working. The 2 1G ABOVE the 2 Management Ports.

The SAME IP was used for bare-metal O/S. It was configured for eth0. In this case, I plan to use the SAME IP for CIMC to upgrade firmware & bios.Is there ANY OTHER WAY without using CIMC to upgrade BIOS and CIMC firmware of C460.

Please help up.

Thanks.

SiM

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card