cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS C220 M4 standalone with VIC 1227 not connecting

brian.ladley67
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisco UCS C220 M4 standalone servers with VIC 1227 in the mLOM slots.  There is light coming out of the SFPs of the same type that are installed on both ends but the systems are not connecting to the Cisco 6500 switch.  The BIOS on the servers has the mLOMs enabled.  We even tried looping the SFPs back to themselves and it still didn't come up.  What should I be looking for?

8 Replies 8

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please confirm the exact SFP model you are using, and the overall firmware (HUU) level of the servers.

Need to confirm the SFP you are using is compatible with the Cat 6500 10Gb module.

Thanks,

Kirk...

I think we may have discovered the problem yesterday afternoon.  We are using GLC-SX-MMD transceivers which are 1 GB SFPs.  If I'm reading this correctly, the data sheet indicates that the VIC 1227 is 10 GB only and will not work with a 1 GB SFP.  We ordered some SFP-10G-SR transceivers to test that theory.  They should be in this morning.  I'll update this post with the results.

Thanks,

Brian

You are correct, you cannot use 1GB SFP for the VIC1227.

-Wes

I'm seeing a similar issue.trying to connect to a 3650 Int TenGig Port.

The Standalone Server's MAC address is not being presented to the Switch.

Standalone C220 M4

UCSC-MLOM-CSC-02 [UCS VIC 1227] V01 FW 4.1(2d)

Port 0 has SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 [COUIA8NCAA]

Port 1 is blank
CIMC Out of Band shows
Port-0                                                  Port-1

MAC Address:  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx        MAC Address:  yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
Link State: Link Up                             Link State: Link Down 

Encap: CE                                          Encap: CE

Admin Speed: 10Gbps                       Admin Speed: 10Gbps

Operating Speed: 10Gbps                 Operating Speed: -

Connector Present: N/A                     Connector Present: N/A

Connector Supported: N/A                 Connector Supported: N/A

Connector Type: N/A                          Connector Type: N/A

Connector Vendor: N/A                       Connector Vendor: N/A

So two questions:
1. Why no information shown for the Connector for Port 0?

2. Why isn't port 0's MAC address visible to the 3650?

Guys, just stop there, VIC1227 does not work with other switches than Nexus 5000, UCS Fabric Interconnects or something that supports virtual nic feature. You cannot connect vic1227 or other VIC to the regular catalyst switches. 

This is not correct, you can connect the VIC122X to a catalyst switch and it will function just as any other network adapter.

If this info is correct then i am sorry and everyone happy. But can you share some official info about this? 

You can connect VIC to catalyst switches instead of Nexus.

This guide is for N5K, but it also has equivalent commands for IOS.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/116095-configure-ucs-upstream-port-channel-00.html

Notice spanning-tree port type edge trunk on NXOS devices. This configuration ensures that, if a link flaps, the port immediately comes back up. In a failure situation, it is important that the upstream switch ports do not move through STP states, which prolong downtime. For more information on this command, refer to spanning-tree port type edge.

The Cisco IOS equivalent of this command is spanning-tree portfast trunk.

Refer to these documents for more information:

We have plenty of customers connecting rack servers and Fabric Interconnects to Cisco IOS devices without issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card