Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS network uplink on aggregation layer

Danny Sandner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

we are using our UCS (Version 2.21d) for ESX Hosts. Each host has 3 vnics as follows:

• vnic 0 = VLAN 10 --> Fabric A, Failover Fabric B
  • vnic 1 = VLAN 20 --> Fabric B, Failover Fabric A
  • vnic 2 = VLAN 100 --> Fabric A, Failover Fabric B

Actually UCS is connected to the Access Layer (Catalyst 6509) and we are migrating to Nexus (vPC). As you know, Cisco UCS Fabric Interconnects can handle layer2 traffic itself. So we are planning to connect our UCS Fabric Interconnects directly to our new l3 nexus switch.

Does anyone have connect the UCS directly to l3? Do we have to pay attention to something? Are there some recommendations?

thanks in advance

best regards

/Danny

18 Replies 18

e.g. one chassis, 2 uplinks between IOM and FI, no PC; odd slots are mapped to uplink nr. 1, even slots to uplink nr. 2. If uplink 1 fails (IOM, FI port issue), all the odd slots fail !

We are using port channels for Connection between IOM - FI and FI - Catalyst / Nexus.

The Uplinks delivers both VLANS in a port channel, so it is logical one "cable". IOM1 of the Chassis are connected with FabA in a PC, IOM2 of the Chassis are connected with FabB in a PC.

If only one cable fails, the over subscription changes and the second cable is more busy. If a complete IOM fails, ok, that chassis will failover to the other fabric and l2 will go outside. I aggree. But this is a failover scenario.

In this case, our l3 switch / router can handle this traffic, too. :)

just fyi.

I have a statement of our Cisco SE, that in a typical Access/Aggregation Design, it is recommended to connect UCS directly to Aggregation.

Can you please send me this statement by email !

- You should also disclose the design of DVS to the community ! with hardware failover, you must essentially cutoff any failover / loadbalancing of DVS.

- it seems that you don't need FC, because there, this strange design would not apply; hardware failover only applies to ethernet nics, not vhba's !

The statement is in german:

"In normalen Access/Aggregation Designs würde ich sogar sagen, es ist *empfohlen*, UCS an die Aggregation Switche anzuschliessen (anstatt an die Access Switche). Der Grund ist, die Uplinks von den FIs können gut belastet werden, und man will diese Uplinks in der Regel an hoch-performante Ports anschliessen."

Spine/Leaf Design it is clear, only connect to leafs.

;)

For FC, we have 4 vHBAs each Host (2 redundant SAN Fabrics x 2 UCS Fabrics =4)

Yes, we use hardware failover only for ethernet / vnics and there is no load-balancing (because each host has only one nic connected to a dvswitch).

(3 dvswitches; 2 server vlans + 1 management vlan)

If you want I can paint the complete design, we are using.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card