Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS Service Profile simulate Vhba link down

Matteo Belletti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

is there a way to simulate the state link down of one Vhba in my service profile?

In my environment I can't remove the FC uplink cause more then one service profile are pinned in port.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

e.nieuwstad
Level 1
Level 1

If I remember correctly the vHBA will never go down when all FCuplinks go down. For ethernet you can configure this behaviour but not for FC. UCS relies on the HA features (multipathing) within FC to detect an uplink failure from the FI towards the SAN. It might also be unwanted behaviour as FC uplinks are not always required for example when the FI is in FC switch mode and the storage array is connected directly to the FI.

I did some test once and when you remove one uplink it does a new flogi on the remaining uplink of that FI if all uplinks are gone the path goes down.

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Matteo,

create a test / dummy VSAN, something which does not carry your production data and is not configure on the uplinks. Assign the VSAN to the vhba and that will take the vhba down without having to shut your fc uplinks.

Hope this helps!

./Abhinav

We had similar issues Reported.
We had Fabric A and Fabric B which has MDs 9710 on each side. FI-A is connected A side MDS and Fi-B is connected B Side MDs.
On A side we had 5 members of Port channel out of 6 Ports went offline. This has caused due to Discards  reported on switch and error disabled. We have situation where the VHBA on the UCS Blades have Disabled state/Offline. The server VHBA were only brought online post reboot of the Blades. Trying to understand why should VHBA should go down on multiple Blades in Multiple Chassis in same FI environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: