cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect Standalone c series server to UCS via VIC/FI Card

neil.newman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have an existing UCS C220 M4S that has been setup as a stand alone server, with windows already installed and working.  I would like to connect it to our UCS system via UCS 6248UP FI  and the MLOM UCS VIC 1227 so that I can use the high Networking / Fibre connection.

Can anyone advise how to do this without any risk to the installed os ? is this possible ?

Cheers 

Neil

6 Replies 6

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Neil,

It seems you are trying to integrate your UCS C-series stand alone server to your UCS Manager. The link below shows you how to do this.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c-series_integration/ucsm2-2/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM2-2/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM2-2_chapter_0110.html#reference_EF9772524CF3442EBA65813C2140EBE6

For a C220 M4s you need to be at least at a UCS Version 2.2(3) based on Table 1 with a CIMC of 2.0(3d).

The guide above shows you step by step on what type of methods you can use to connect the stand-alone server to the Fabric Interconnect.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If this was helpful please mark the answer as correct so other uses can find it.

Regards,

Qiese Dides

Hi Qiese, thanks for your reply, the concern I have is this server is currently up and running, the documentation link I have already looked at but it all appears to come from the point of view of a new installation, I need to ensure that in setting up server profile etc that the server is not corrupted.

If I connect this server to the UCS (via the FI) will this wipe/reset the server ?

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yeah the server would have to go completely offline. You would have to reset CIMC to Factory Defaults. Regarding your data how is it stored local disk or from a SAN storage array? If it is Local Disk and you do not have a scrub policy enabled then the data should transfer. If you have a SAN storage array where you are booting the data from it will be protected you would just need to configure that on your service profile in UCS Manager.

Hi Neil

Connecting a standalone server to UCS FI means, that you are using the concept of Service Profiles, with pools of MAC, UUID, pwwn,...., and policies, eg. boot policy.

Therefore I think this will be disruptive ! eg. associating a SP means rebooting the server.

You can create a SP that will match your installed Windows Server, however, MAC, pwwn,....will change.

Walter.

Regarding creating a service profile here is a guide I posted on the support forums on step by step creation of Service Profiles, Pools, and Templates.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12878811/creating-ucs-server-profiles-templates-and-pools

Please make sure you local disk policy is set to "any config', other wise it has the potential on initial service profile association to reconfigure the VDs/raid config to what ever your local disk policy is set to.  Any config, tells UCSM to not try to configure the pre-existing local raid config, and just leave it alone.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card