cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting FI 6200 series with SAN Storage with FC and FCoE

halim.kurniawan
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to make a solution where the Fabric Interconnect will handle direct link with the storages but i don't know how to do it on the new FI 6200 series. For instance I can make the FC expansion module in 6100 series to switch and leave the fixed port as end host, but how can i do it on the new FI 6200 series if I am not using any expansion module because the fixed port ammount is enough.

Sorry for my bad english..

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

thank you

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Halim,

Before you can utilize a 6200 Port as an FC interface you must configure the unified ports accordingly.

From UCSM, right click on the FI and select Configure Unified Ports.  Here you will see a slider bar where you will set the separation of which ports will be Ethernet (FCoE included) and which will be Fiber Channel. All ports to the left of the slider bar will be Ethernet, while all ports on the right will be FC.

Keep in mind modifying unified ports on the fixes module on a 6200 will require a reboot of the FI.  If you're modifying an expansion module of unified ports, then you only reboot the expansion module.

More information on unified ports here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_0101.html#concept_EBA4291165434774AB50F91C74633538

Everything beyond this for direct attach storage remains the same as the 6100 requirements.  Ensure you have an upstream N5K/MDS to provide your zoning.

Regards,

Robert

Dear Robert,

I have read about the left part for ethernet and the right part for FC. what i wanted to know is whether on the 6200 series, the ethernet ports can be end host and the fc ports can be switch mode?

regards,

halim

Yes - as I said everything else is consistent with how the 6100 operates.  FC Switch/EHM and Ethernet Switch/EHM operation are independent of the FI platform.

So yes, you can set Ethernet to EHM and use FC Switch mode with the 6200.

Robert

Thank you for your answer Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: