Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying data to a SAN attached to UCS

rramlal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We have a 2 5108 chassis with 3 B200 blades each and 2 fabric interconnect 6248. This UCS connects to a hitachi storage array. The virtual machines configured use VMware.

I am not very familiar with the SAN aspect and I wanted an idea on how we can migrate 4TB of data to the Hitachi Storage array . The external storage device which consists of the 4TB of data has a USB connection but the UCS system does not.

Can you give some options as to how this is normally done or can be done? Other than the USB.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is your Hitachi array connected directly to UCS, or via a SAN, and if yes, what kind of SAN (Brocade, Cisco) ?

One can connect a dongle (KVM local I/O cable) to any blade, and get 2 external USB connections:

The KVM local I/O cable ships with every UCS 5100 Series blade server chassis accessory kit. The KVM local I/O cable provides a connection into the server, providing a DB9 serial connector, a VGA connector for a monitor, and dual USB ports for a keyboard and mouse. With this cable, you can create a direct connection to the operating system and the BIOS running on the server.

I believe this could be misused to temporarly connect your storage for data transfer, although a very ugly solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is your Hitachi array connected directly to UCS, or via a SAN, and if yes, what kind of SAN (Brocade, Cisco) ?

One can connect a dongle (KVM local I/O cable) to any blade, and get 2 external USB connections:

The KVM local I/O cable ships with every UCS 5100 Series blade server chassis accessory kit. The KVM local I/O cable provides a connection into the server, providing a DB9 serial connector, a VGA connector for a monitor, and dual USB ports for a keyboard and mouse. With this cable, you can create a direct connection to the operating system and the BIOS running on the server.

I believe this could be misused to temporarly connect your storage for data transfer, although a very ugly solution.

Thanks for your response.

The hitachi san connects to the fabric interconnects directly. What do you mean it can be an ugly solution?

A dongle hanging off a blade ! this is usually only used for troubleshooting, or for temporary use like in your case, during the time of migration. Technically ok !

Okay, yes it is temporary and yes i understand that it can be a messy situation. I will be careful. thanks much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: