Views
Helpful
Replies

DATA DOMAIN directly connected to UCS

dani_bosch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I know is possible to connect several EMC and NetApp NAS devices directly to UCS Fabric Interconnects. Question is:

Is it possible to directly connect an EMC Data Domain NAS, publishing CIFS/NFS shares?

Thanks a lot,

9 Replies 9

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dani,

We can configure the FI ports as Appliance ports and connect NAS devices to it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_0101.html

Padma

Correct, and as EMC Data Domain acts like a NAS device, my question was whether connecting EMC Data Domain to the Fabric Interocnnects is supported.

Is it?

Dani,

As long as it is IP based storage device, we support EMC and Netapp arrays for appliance ports.

Other vendor devices are not tested and hence not qualified for support.

Padma

Appliance ports work for almost anything. Have an Isilon system connected. Also have a Microsoft Storage Server attached.

Craig

My UCS Blog http://realworlducs.com

Microsoft Storage Server?? Don't you guys say only EMC and NetApp arrays are supported??

Dani,

Any IP based storage array can work but officially supported deployments are arrays manufactured by EMC and Netapp vendors.

Padma

Ok, so even not officially supported, a 3rd party server like HP or DELL with a Windows File Server in it (for instance) will technically work fine in UCS?

Thanks,

Yes, it might work if the arrays follow standards for IP based storage connectivity.

Hi Craig,

Are you using a Nexus 22xx to connect to the Isilon system & Microsoft Storage Server? or direct to the appliance ports?

Thanks

Kassim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card