cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dell Servers with Nexus 7000 + Nexus 2000 extenders

Sandeep Singh
Level 7
Level 7

<< Original post by smunzani. Answered by Robert. Moving from Document section to Discussions>>

Team,

I would like to use some of the existing Dell Servers for new network design of Nexus 7000 + Nexus 2000 extenders. What are my options for FEC to the hosts? All references of M81KR I found on CCO are related to UCS product only.

What's best option for following setup?

N7K(Aggregation Layer) -- N2K(Extenders) -- Dell servers

Need 10G to the servers due to dense population of the VMs. The customer is not up for dumping recently purchased dell boxes in favor of UCS. Customer VMware license is Enterprise Edition.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Singh
Level 7
Level 7

To answer your question, the M81KR-VIC is a Mezz card for UCS blades only.  For Cisco rack there is a PCIe version which is called the P81.  These are both made for Cisco servers only due to the integration with server management and virtual interface functionality.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/data_sheet_c78-558230.html

More information on it here:

Regards,

Robert

Simplified Operations
A single point of management and policy enforcement using upstream Cisco Nexus switches eases the deployment of FEX blades through zero-touch installation and automatic configuration.

Increased Business Benefits
Reduce operating expenses (OpEx) and capital expenditures (CapEx) with:

Infrastructure consolidation
Cabling reduction
Feature inheritance from the parent switch, which protects current investments
Cisco Nexus B22 Fabric Extenders deliver fabric extensibility with single point of management from the Cisco Nexus 5000 and 6000 Series Switches to

HP BladeSystem c-Class chassis with Cisco Nexus B22HP
Dell PowerEdge M1000e Blade chassis with Cisco Nexus B22DELL
Fujitsu PRIMERGY Blade Chassis with Cisco Nexus B22F
IBM Flex System Blade Chassis with Cisco Nexus B22IBM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: