cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design question around VSANs

JUSTIN LOUCKS
Level 1
Level 1

We are leveraging the Nexus 5K for our FC switching to boot our UCS blades. I am wondering what the best design is for the following situation.

Active / Active NetApp HA pair.

2 FC target ports from each NetApp head in the HA pair to the SAN switches (Nexus 5K in our case).

1 port from each NetApp head to each of the Nexus 5010s.

Should I have 1 VSAN on each 5010 with a port from each NetApp head in it or should I have 1 common VSAN between the 5010s?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David McFarland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A good best practice is to use different VSAN numbering on each fabric.

For Fabric A (or 1) use odd numbered VSANs (3, 5, etc.)

For Fabric B (or 2) use even mumbered VSANs (2, 4, etc.)

It provides a visual cue for the operator to let them know which fabric they are making changes to. Additionally, in the case of an inadvertent ISL connect between the two fabrics you won't merge your A and B fabric zonesets (I've seen it happen). Dont' put any active traffic in VSAN 1 for the same reason.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David McFarland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A good best practice is to use different VSAN numbering on each fabric.

For Fabric A (or 1) use odd numbered VSANs (3, 5, etc.)

For Fabric B (or 2) use even mumbered VSANs (2, 4, etc.)

It provides a visual cue for the operator to let them know which fabric they are making changes to. Additionally, in the case of an inadvertent ISL connect between the two fabrics you won't merge your A and B fabric zonesets (I've seen it happen). Dont' put any active traffic in VSAN 1 for the same reason.

Thanks. That is how I had it setup while testing with our LAB equipment but its not an HA pair so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missings something before rolling towards production usage.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: